Flip-out Ignition Keys?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaisanNYC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does Ford or any aftermarket make one like Volkswagon does for their cars? A friend just got a VW, and the ignition key is integrated into the OEM alarm remote. A push of a button and the key swings out to be used to start the ignition. This is a really nice and compact option! I really hope their is something similar for Expy's!

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm almost positive no. If you have the anti theft system then even more no since the keys have to be integrated with a chip. I've never seen any aftermarket key like that.

OP
OP
P

PaisanNYC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ahhh alright. Thanks guys :) I just thought it would be nice not to have keys poking my thigh, or popping holes in my nice clothes for work lol

Tom Nugler

Reaction score
Originally posted by AvroAero
I'm almost positive no. If you have the anti theft system then even more no since the keys have to be integrated with a chip. I've never seen any aftermarket key like that.
The VW keys are indeed chipped for their Immobilizer anti-theft system. Dealer only programing. The actual mecanical key is replacable but I doubt the chips would be compatable.
Some of our new cars no longer have a mechanical key. Just a transponder fob/remote. Stuff it in the dash and push on or off.

Tom.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man ynew cars just have a fob that you leave in your pocket.

The car senses the fob when you approach, so you just touch a button on the doorhandle to unlock it.

Then, once inside, with the fob still in your pocket, just press the start button anw away you go.

These newer transponder keys suck...because when they fail, they cost way too much to replace.

The key on our BMW died, and the dealer wants $250 for a new one...which is flown-in from Germany. And they only make a certain number of replacements. So if they run out of your particular one, then you need to replace the door locks and ignition cylinder...and I'm afraid to ask how much that costs.

Looks like we'll be using the valet key from here on out.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tom Nugler
The VW keys are indeed chipped for their Immobilizer anti-theft system. Dealer only programing. The actual mecanical key is replacable but I doubt the chips would be compatable.
Some of our new cars no longer have a mechanical key. Just a transponder fob/remote. Stuff it in the dash and push on or off.

Tom.

Yea but I meant since our keys are chipped, that an after market key would have to be chipped also and would need dealer programing. And I doubt a stealership would want to help another company get business by making they're key usable, instead of making them(dealer) the only resource of keys.

I'm sure VW chips aren't compatible with Ford chips. Unless you wana gut you key and jam it in another one lol.

Last edited: