Flood question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim Hinman

Reaction score
I searched around the forums and didn't find anything helpful, so I thought I'd ask for advice here.

We were caught in tropical storm ETA. If the forecast had given us a clue before it was too late we would have blasted out of here, but but the time the alarm was raised the wind and flooding had us stuck. Salt water, of course. My wife's Prius had water in the passenger compartment and is toast. My 2017 Expedition got wet, but only up to the running boards. Nothing inside. Everything seems to be working fine. I'd rather not have insurance tell me they're going to total it which seems to be the general reaction. I went to the car wash and got the undercarriage wash twice. I have not tested the electric connection for my travel trailer yet.

So, I expect to need to replace the brakes, but any thoughts? I love the vehicle and would prefer to keep it. Am I crazy? Any suggestions of things I should consider or worry about would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JimH

OP
OP
J

Jim Hinman

Reaction score
Thanks, Tom! That's a good point and I should have thought about it. Ran it through the car wash two days in a row and everything seems good. I'm going to not worry about it and see how it goes...

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I think you're fine. I believe the owners' manual covers this, perhaps by saying to keep the hubs out of the water. Get a hose and flush out any body cavities that may retain salt; rocker panels, etc.

Keep an ear out for bad bearings or u-joints down the road. They should be sealed, but you never know. I had a Crown Vic caught in Hurricane Sandy with water over the hubs a bit and had a failure in the transmission bulkhead connector. That was my only damage.