Fog Light Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wakeboarderNH

Reaction score
Hey guys -

This kid at my school was selling everything off his truck yesterday, so I bought 2 fog lights for 5 bucks. On my XLT, I have the switch to turn fog lights on, and by my bumper I have the plugs for the original fog lights, (which mine doesn't have)

I turned on my DMM and probed for power at the plugs with the switch on, no luck. And I'm getting no reading for resistance. Also have the fuses for the circuit, and they are good as well. Has anyone added lights to that circuit? Do I need to go out and buy stuff?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

mpsjr

Reaction score
I know you said that you turned the switch on, and maybe your XLT is different than my EB, but I have to pull the headlight knob out (with the headlights switched on) to get my fog lights to turn on. Just make sure you are turning the switch all the way to the right (clockwise) and then pull out on the switch to activate the fog lights. If you've done that, then it's probably another problem that someone else can address.

chad9f9

Reaction score
Hey guys -

This kid at my school was selling everything off his truck yesterday, so I bought 2 fog lights for 5 bucks. On my XLT, I have the switch to turn fog lights on, and by my bumper I have the plugs for the original fog lights, (which mine doesn't have)

I turned on my DMM and probed for power at the plugs with the switch on, no luck. And I'm getting no reading for resistance. Also have the fuses for the circuit, and they are good as well. Has anyone added lights to that circuit? Do I need to go out and buy stuff?

Thanks for any input.
I had the same issue on my XLT. If you truck did not come with the fog lights then you probably don't have the right switch. All Expeditions have all the wiring in place but the switches are different if fog lights were not a purchased option.

My stock switch pulls out but did not activate the fogs. I found a switch in the junk yard from a truck that had fog lights. I pulled apart both of the switches and my original one was missing the fog circuity that the junk yard switch had. The junk yard switch looked kinda worn so I swapped the internals and everything works now.

Last edited:

chad9f9

Reaction score
Cool. Hope it works for you.

BTW if you want to run the fogs with out the headlights I think all you have to do is take apart the switch and grind down the little tab that keeps the knob from being pulled out in the off and parking light position. I thought I saw a post somewhere here with pictures on how to do it.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do factory fog lights switch off when you hit the highbeams?

Last edited:

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
If you are upgrading a truck to put fog lights in it that did not come from the factory with fog lights, you have to upgrade 3 things electrically.

1) new headlight switch due to the non-fog light trucks getting a different headlight switch
2) add in fuse F27 (if not installed for another option in the truck)
3) add in the fog light relay (20 amp relay).

From there, you can bolt in the factory housings and all should be good. Very few trucks do not come with the harness already in the truck (most of these were the 97-98 trucks).

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what I did with mine is I relayed it with the park lamps as trigger. I dont think I will use the park lights without using the driving lamps anyway so it was a simpler install

Razor

Reaction score
what I did with mine is I relayed it with the park lamps as trigger. I dont think I will use the park lights without using the driving lamps anyway so it was a simpler install

Very interesting solution...

Last edited: