Ford Expedition 2018 - 2020

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricExpedition

Reaction score
And go ahead and splurge on a model with the stock LED headlights because the stock projector headlights are absolute junk. You can't see anything beyond 10 feet in front of you at night! Probably Ford's greatest engineering failure since the Pinto. My 2013 projectors on my F150 are great so I don't know how they managed to screw up the Expedition ones so badly 5 years later.

You have a lot to catch up. The forum is very informative with the "common" issues in regard to the expy as well as threads with similar questions where the issues are summarized.

Main things to look for are cam phaser issues and shocks(base suspension)

OP
OP
P

Porsche911

Reaction score
And go ahead and splurge on a model with the stock LED headlights because the stock projector headlights are absolute junk. You can't see anything beyond 10 feet in front of you at night! Probably Ford's greatest engineering failure since the Pinto. My 2013 projectors on my F150 are great so I don't know how they managed to screw up the Expedition ones so badly 5 years later.

How many miles you got on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rossue

Reaction score
I don't have any problem with my projector headlights AND wouldn't want a Panoramic roof or power running boards just to get LED's.

EricExpedition

Reaction score
You're one of the lucky ones then! Or the Ford engineer... haha. This forum has been filled with complaints from the beginning about these headlights.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/headlight-weirdness.36095/

I'm not sure about the other Expedition options and configurations, but when I'm looking for a new F150 (or maybe a Bronco!) there is no way I will buy one without the LED headlights now.

I don't have any problem with my projector headlights AND wouldn't want a Panoramic roof or power running boards just to get LED's.

EricExpedition

Reaction score
Just over 56K. Same issues: cam phaser fixed around 40K because of rattling on startup, had one leaking shock at 2K miles, and I forgot to mention the big one! I must have blocked it from my memory. Complete A/C replacement because of a "refrigerant contamination" in production.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/contaminated-refrigerant-issue.37306/

I think this was a small number of 2018 vehicles but the dealer said it would have been well over $5K if it had not been under warranty.

How many miles you got on it?

Jeffrey Long

Reaction score
Well my wife loved her 2018 4x4 Platinum Expedition so much, we just got her a 2021 4x4 Platinum Expedition... the 2018 was mechanically sound however it had several "gremlins" in the BCM that Ford never did figure out. Those gremilns included the side mirrors sporadically going crazy when the vehicle was opened with the 2nd key fob (never the 1st key fob), and the doors locks (not the drivers door) losing the touch unlock feature. None of the issues were were what I would consider big, they were more like inconvenient annoyances.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Retired automotive engineer here
Have 2018 XLT loaded with HD tow & FX4. heated & cooled seats, NAV, adaptive cruise etc.
48k Miles
Always full synthetic oil changes
5 Star tune 93 octane (Always tune my vehicles as soon as I can get the tune after purchase)
Tow our RZR turbo with it
Absolutely no issues
Lovin the ecoboost engines (have owned 7 of them)
Plan to trade for a 2022 Bronco or EXPY later this year
0-60mph times are close to 4 seconds with this tune & E30 fuel
Will not consider anything but Ford with ecoboost engines as long as they available:burnout:

OP
OP
P

Porsche911

Reaction score
Retired automotive engineer here
Have 2018 XLT loaded with HD tow & FX4. heated & cooled seats, NAV, adaptive cruise etc.
48k Miles
Always full synthetic oil changes
5 Star tune 93 octane (Always tune my vehicles as soon as I can get the tune after purchase)
Tow our RZR turbo with it
Absolutely no issues
Lovin the ecoboost engines (have owned 7 of them)
Plan to trade for a 2022 Bronco or EXPY later this year
0-60mph times are close to 4 seconds with this tune & E30 fuel
Will not consider anything but Ford with ecoboost engines as long as they available:burnout:

Because your automative engineer I had some questions for you:

1. What do you of the turbos? Because I heard that turbos are pretty bad for engine’s.
2. How much miles do you think that engine will last?
3. What do you think about the transmission? Because I heard that it’s pretty bad.