Ford F150 & Expedition Front Hub and Bearing Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

makuloco2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In this video I go over another common failure on the Expedition and F150 4WD vehicles. The hub and bearing on these units usually fail silently and go unnoticed until the wheel is literally binding and scraping upon turns ready to fall off unlike the explorers and FWD cars that have sealed bearings which have a loud humming noise when they are failing. I show you how to replace it with all the tips and torque specs along the way.

Ford F150 & Expedition Front Hub and Bearing Replacement - YouTube

Roots

Reaction score
Correct me if Im wrong but dont these make a vibration hum-like noise when they are going out? My 03 just started making the noise on the drivers side.

Thanks for the vid!

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with Roots, I have had several bearings fail on my truck, our 04 expy, and a couple of extended family Explorers. Each one I diagnosed by the rhythmic hum that you hear at freeway speeds.

OP
OP
M

makuloco2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Correct me if Im wrong but dont these make a vibration hum-like noise when they are going out? My 03 just started making the noise on the drivers side.

Thanks for the vid!

Yep you are correct but it seems on these they come apart as shown before the actual roller bearings get pits in them which causes the hum, explorers are the worst for the hum.

Reaction score
Hi Y'all - My first post here on this most excellent and educational forum .

This is a timely subject, as we just inherited an '03 2wd XLT from my deceased MIL .
It seems like a decent vehicle, with the HD towing package, and the 5.4L engine - 115K miles on it.

We had to go pick it up in MA. and drive it back to FL.
On the drive down, I noticed the tell-tale cyclic humming / droning noise at highway speed. Pretty loud, in fact.
I'm pretty sure it's the bearings, as the front tires are new, with a mild all season thread, and I had it aligned before they were mounted, as the old fronts had worn the inside tread really bad. The ball joints and tie rod ends were tight - just the toe was really out.

Anyway - My question :
Does anyone here have direct experience with the "economy" bearing / hub assy's from 1A Auto ?
I know, I know, you should "only", "always" use name brand stuff (Timken, etc), but the price difference is so damn extreme .........

I do as much of my own work as possible, so I'd install myself.
It needs a brake job and new rotors, so I'll have it apart, and thought to do the hubs at the same time.
The car will only have stock wheels and tire size, and see only occasional moderate towing.

So, anyone have experience with these hubs ?
Thanks.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have experience with the ones from 1a auto, but the economy ones from o'reilly lasted about a year for me. I go cheap on lots of parts, but wheel hubs and suspension parts I usually do a higher quality option.

Sent from the Pocket Computer

Reaction score
Thanks - That's the kind of thing I needed, but was afraid, to hear .
I may just have to bite the bullet on this, and not be such a cheapskate :think:

gulfman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2003 expedition with 37,000 miles. For the last 10,000 miles or so, I get a whirling type noise after running it for a while. The nose begins at 45 mph and ends at 65mph, but only occurs when you are accelerating. When you let off the gas, it goes away. I have yet to be able to tell where the noise is coming from. Is this a sound that comes from a bad hub bearing?

James04

Reaction score
Detroit axle

Have done all 4 in my '04, used wheel hub assemblies from detroit axle. Sometimes they are cheaper when ordered from amazon... Check them out if you dont want to pay a ton of money for good american made parts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcason94