front axle pops unless 4x4 fuse pulled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffe

Reaction score
hey all,
2000 Eddie Bauer with a loud popping under load in any of the traction settings with little to no front wheel power.
it goes away with the engine bay 4x4 fuse pulled.
i assumed vacuum leak BUT... there is no actuator on the front axle! nor are there any solenoids on the fire wall.
my manual says there should be and there are not even mounts for it on the axle.
anybody have a setup like this?
im losing my mind here any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.

OP
OP
J

jeffe

Reaction score
Thanks Tom.
I'll read up on the BWM.
It hadn't occurred to me that may resolve the issue.

OP
OP
J

jeffe

Reaction score
with BWM switch off a4wd is in 2wd just like pulling the fuse but 4hi and 4low are still popping.

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to over simplify, because it sounds like you might need to tear into it. But, when was the last time you changed the fluid?

OP
OP
J

jeffe

Reaction score
Changed fluids in December.
Should the front axle drive train spin in 2wd all th way back to the transfer case?

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The front drive shaft will turn if in two wheel drive because it's turning off the front diff. It should be disengaged at the transfer case. To find out if it is disengaged jack up the front and spin the wheels. If they spin, it's disengaged. Make sense?

OP
OP
J

jeffe

Reaction score
the front is disengaging as you described.
my haynes manual is so wrong it claims there is a vacuum actuator on the front pumpkin to lock the front wheels.
I think youre right about tearing this thing apart :(
im thinking i might be better off picking up a rebuilt TC and front train.
thanks again for all the help.

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are some threads on this forum where guys have put in manual transfers. Do a search. Also some have had issues with the switch. Do a search on that as well. Good luck.