Front end clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amos7514

Reaction score
Hey I have 04 exp 4x4 and I have a Loud pop /clunk coming from the front end when brake hard or acc hard I replaced both cv joints and the wheel hubs it any ones have any ideas ?

Plati

Reaction score
Did you try putting it in 2WD and see if that changes anything? Of course I'm assuming it does that in AWD. You get the idea.

TexEx

Reaction score
Yes I have an 05 4x5 that did something similar but not that loud, it was definitely the lower ball joints..I actually punctured a small hole in the boot with a heated nail on the end of some vice grips & shot in some lithium grease with the straw attachment from the side of the can..it totally worked! & have not heard it since...I did this with plans on replacing which also includes new boots but it was really getting on my nerves..oh & there was a dust build up around the bottoms of the boots which I think is leakage..hope that is all that is wrong with your '04.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes I have an 05 4x5 that did something similar but not that loud, it was definitely the lower ball joints..I actually punctured a small hole in the boot with a heated nail on the end of some vice grips & shot in some lithium grease with the straw attachment from the side of the can..it totally worked! & have not heard it since...I did this with plans on replacing which also includes new boots but it was really getting on my nerves..oh & there was a dust build up around the bottoms of the boots which I think is leakage..hope that is all that is wrong with your '04.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
They make an injector needle for your grease gun that plugs onto end to do just that.
The grease is usually better than spray grease.
I do like Lucas Chain Lube to seep into tight ones but then grease after that.
On some, a thicker grease would take forever or never get inside the joint to do anything.
I have had a few creaky ball joint fixed by this method.
---cue to people that say you should replace on if it does that---
Maybe if the factory gave me a grease fitting, I wouldn't have to mess with it but I will get as long as I can out of them.

I think the OP's noise is sway bar links or something else flopping around up there.

Bounce it up and down and see if you hear it.
If a ball joint, you can put your hand on it when someone bounces it (don't mash hand) and you will feel the creaking.

OP
OP
A

Amos7514

Reaction score
It does it in 2 wheel drive only I’ll replace the sway bar end links and lower ball joints. could the iwe be making that noise ? If I spin the wheel i hear a clunk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It does it in 2 wheel drive only I’ll replace the sway bar end links and lower ball joints. could the iwe be making that noise ? If I spin the wheel i hear a clunk
Sounds like it. It's using more of a clicking than a clunk but yes the hubs will only do it in 2 wheel drive because that's when they have vacuum to hold them disengaged. When you put it in for auto the vacuum turns off and they will lock into place so no more clicking.