front end rubbing/grinding noise 2002 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcrisman

Reaction score
I need some help. Exped has A4WD, 4H and 4L. A few weeks back I started to hear a rhythmic front end wum wum wum wum noise. Sounds like its a grinding/rubbing noise. I checked both front calipers to see if one froze and keeping the brakes engaged, I was able to compress caliper pistons. Not sure if that excludes them as the problem?? Is it bad wheel hubs? I switched from A4wd to 4H and sound stays. Has anyone experienced the same issue? Any ideas on what to check would be appreciated. It is parked until i can figure it out.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could try turning off traction control to see if you got a glitch there

Brakes also tend to heat up from being engaged, if you think something is sticking it should also get noticeably hotter on the side with the issue if you drive it a bit without using much intentional braking (coast to stop signs / lights where possible etc)

Shabadoo

Reaction score
I had a friend with a an old Taurus that made a "wum wum wum" noise which increased and decreased with speed. We called it the pod racer because it sounded like a Star Wars pod racer. It turned out to be a bad wheel bearing. Knew someone else with a 2010 focus that had the same noise (though not as loud). That turned out to be an issue with the tires. Hard to say for sure without hearing the noise, and even then...but those are some possible areas to check.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No traction off button? Huh...

Well on soem trickier vehicles you can turn it off by pulling an ABS fuse (GM trucks) or doing some odd startup sequence (ex: on some Nissans, turn engine off while in gear, try to restart, follow instruction to shift into park first, and then restart again for power steering off traction off maybe ABS off to cant recall)

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the hubs. The grinding noise might be the axle on the knuckle. I had happen on a 4wd Dakota I had.

Jack up tire by frame or diff so suspension 100% free once up wiggle tire side to side if any endplay it’s most likely a hub or tie rod very very slim chance.

Last edited:

bnegaard

Reaction score
I’ve had that happen on an older Chevy Blazer. Likely wheel bearing(s). If you jack up the front end and spin the wheel hard on each side. If it’s the bearing you’ll know pretty easy. You may also have play in the wheel if you grab it top and bottom. Has it been pulling left or right? Also you’ll usually hear a clicking noise reflected back in before it gets bad. Usually when you are moving at a slow speed. On other check is to drive it for a few minutes and then feel the rim/hub- it’ll be warm or hot. If it’s really bad be careful it’ll burn you. I actually drove on one and it welded the bearing to the hub. Good luck it’s generally not a hard or expensive repair if it doesn’t go too long.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Is your problem worse when turning the wheels? Do you have 4 matching tires(size and tread)? Do you have abnormal tread wear on front tires? Have you checked lower ball joints and front end? How old are tires? I had an original, Goodyear RT/S, that was noisey and may of had a shifted belt or flat spot. You also can pull fuse 104 or 102, to disengage electric clutch for transfer case.