Fuel pump issues...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Khill3253

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2000 expedition with the 4.6L (6 code). I went to work the other day, cold morning, worked 16 hours and came out. It wouldnt start. Just cranked over. It was low on fuel and has 160000 miles. Ended up towing it home after not getting it going. After I got it home I turned the key on and could not hear the fuel pump. Checked for pressure and got none. Checked and have spark. Checked the relay, fuse, and the inertia switch and got nothing. Replaced the pump, and still nothing. I'm stumped. Does the inertia switch just go bad without being popped? Can I bypass it? It's a two wire coming from the plug (green/yellow, pink/black). I'm going to check the power at the pigtail tomorrow. Any ideas fellas?

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you check for voltage at the shut off switch you should only see 12 volts for a few seconds unless the engine starts You may need a helper to turn the key while you look at the volt meter

If the engine does not start the PCM will reduce the voltage to the fuel pump.

You may then want to get a can of starter fluid and spray a little bit into the throttle body to see if the engine attempts to run It should run for a few seconds with the starter fluid

Check fuse #10 #2 #3 and #8 in the fuse box under the hood You do not need to pull the fuse to test for voltage See attached link

http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/fuse-testing-101.24587/

Using your volt meter Check for voltage at the shut off switch One lead on pink/black wire and one lead to a good solid ground You may want to make a jumper wire and connect directly to the NEG battery terminal

If no voltage present at the pink/black wire then move the test lead to the green/yellow wire and test again

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your owners manual will show the location of the fuses
If you don't have a owners manual you can download a copy at

owner.ford.com

OP
OP
K

Khill3253

Reaction score
Checked the fuses, they are all good. Checked voltage on pink/black- 12 volts, green/yellow had 12 volts.

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try using some starting fluid If the engine attempts to start Plan on a new fuel pump

You may want to give this a try. Get a rubber mallet then have someone try to start the engine while you hit the fuel tank with the mallet If it starts then plan on a new fuel pump

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No reason it should be acting that way if you replaced the pump, there are not any 'gremlins' for the electrical/fuel delivery. Although that does not rule out any possible gremlins, still find it very unlikely.

OP
OP
K

Khill3253

Reaction score
Just sorted it out. Dropped the tank, pulled the pump back out. The connector with the yellow/ brown wire and black wire that supplies power to the fuel pump is bad. Old pump even works, lmao. We ran power to it. I should have checked it when I had the tank off the first time. Thanks fellas. It was a learning experience.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look at the bright side, at least it wasn't an engine rebuild. After getting it all together you look over on the workbench and there is one oil ring still in the package.

And no, I haven't done that.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We used to have a shop in South San Francisco, in the window their was some real chewed up parts, piston, rod, all mangled. The caption read the missing screws! Glad your up and running. It's amazing how fast you do a job a second time.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk