Fuse number for check engine light? (97 Exp 4X EB)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuctionExp

Reaction score
Hello Forum, 2nd post here.

I am wondering what the fuse number (and location) is for the CEL (check engine light).

I am asking because I cannot get the CEL light to come on, and now I cannot pass the state emission test.

I thought is was the #2 fuse (5a) under the dash. I replaced that fuse, but still no light. Is the CEL just connected to all of the other instrumentation? If so, it would give me a new direction to follow (bulb out on instrument panel).

Thanks for your help!

1997 Exp, 4X EB

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok we dont have emissions in my state so I am just curious. Do you mean that you cannot pass the test because you cannot prove the CEL comes on? Or is there an underlying problem that you think should be turning on the CEL but isn't, thereby causing the failed test?

If it is the latter one, go to an auto zone or Oreilly and they have OBDII scanner tools you can use for free. That will tell you if your truck is throwing codes even if the light isn't on.

Fastcat

Reaction score
Do u mean u cant get the scanner to read the computer? If so is it not powering up once u plug it in, or does it power up but when u try to read the codes it says no data link? If u have any one of those problems take everything out of the cigarette lighter and check fuses. there are 2 different fuses that run the scanner port thing. Lol. But i forgot which 2 they were

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
AuctionExp

AuctionExp

Reaction score
Ok we dont have emissions in my state so I am just curious. Do you mean that you cannot pass the test because you cannot prove the CEL comes on? Or is there an underlying problem that you think should be turning on the CEL but isn't, thereby causing the failed test?

Unfortunately, in Oregon they look for the CEL to display with koeo (Key On Engine Off). Even if there are no codes, if the light does not come on I fail the test.

I've checked the fuses under the dash, and even replaced known good fuses just be sure. It could be a burnt out bulb right? Maybe the CEL bulb is burnt out and all the other indicator bulbs are working.

I am just trying to eliminate the low hanging fruit before I pull the instrument panel.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its certainly possible. It says in the owners manual which fuses control what. I would think that the fuse that controls the CEL also controls the other warning lights, but I cannot say for sure. All I know is that mine works fine cause its always on! PM a member named Thermo with your question. He knows what he is talking about and may be able to give you information that I can't.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Auction, your CEL bulb is burned out. If the fuse was blown for the CEL light, you would not be able to start the truck up as the ECM would not have power. Since you are into the instrument cluster, spend a few extra dollars and replace a lot of the other bulbs back there too. Once you start getting access to the instrument cluster, you will understand why I say what I say. take an afternoon and take it easy. Plan on spending about 3 hours on this "little" project.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
i wonder if someone took a really small drill bit and drilled out the bulb