Gas Mileage Drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't verified my mpg with ethanol free gas on the Expedition yet but I did on my explorer. When the 10% ethanol fuel came out and my mpg dropped on the explorer and also on my wife's brand new Altima. I found a local fuel supplier that normally sells fuel to the county vehicles, and to the local trucking companies, and they sell fuel to the marinas. They have mostly diesel only, but also provide 90 octane "boat/off-road" gas with no ethanol.

I drive the same route every week to/from work and get within 10 miles of the same distance out of every gas tank. Then I fueled up with non-ethanol fuel and instantly that tank I got 60 miles more before needing to refuel. The Explorer has a 20 gallon tank, so that means 3mpg X 20 gallons=60 miles. I've repeated this same scenario 3 times. Then switched back to E10, and mpg sucks again.

Ethanol does nothing except dilute your fuel with a bunch of filler that makes no power at all. Ethanol is a complete rip off, it raises octane and that's it, doesn't provide energy. That's why E85 vehicles drop about 6-7 mpg (or more). Ethanol is designed to run at a much higher fuel:air ratio in order to reach it's stoich peak power ratio. So it will technically peak out at a little more HP, but only after burning twice as much fuel.

I'm hoping that the 30 gallon tank on the expedition will give me an extra 90 miles with non-ethanol fuel. I got 550 miles out of the last tank to/from Orlando driving about 73 average. I had 20 gallons Avgas and 10 gal of 87.