Gas Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
OK, so 3 weeks ago, I changed out my plugs and coil packs. At the time I did that, my mileage was sub 13 mpg. Since, I have seen it climb up to 13.7 to 14 mpg. The thing is, that my dashboard computer says I am getting 16-18 mpg! Is there a computer reset that I need to do since hooking back up the ECM?
Should I clean the MAF?
Still scratching my head on this one...

-Ronnie

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think what you're seeing is common. The only sure way to measure mpg is old-fashioned math. Mine reads 14mpg, I get about 12.5-13. Heavy-ass tires are to blame.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Yep, it is the good old fashioned math that led me to scratch my head. Funny thing is, I used to be able to go almost two weeks on a tank and not it is every week.
Thank you for the response!

69Hcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine was showing about 4 tenths more than it was actually getting. Now with the tuner I get 1 to 2 tenths better than the readout. If I use performance or economy setting it seems to read lower than actual.

DRS1

Reaction score
Mine was showing about 4 tenths more than it was actually getting. Now with the tuner I get 1 to 2 tenths better than the readout. If I use performance or economy setting it seems to read lower than actual.

What tuner do you have, and was it worth it? I have 2003 5.4 Eddie Bauer since new.. Thanks.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have superchips cortex 1950 and its worth it on gas saver setting

69Hcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm running an SCT X4 with MPT custom tuning. The cost was the same as getting it with canned tunes from other places. I definitely think it was worth it.

I think I'm going to run it on 91 performance for a couple tanks and see how it does. It seems much peppier on the performance tune.