Gauges inoperable everything else works fine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rage187u

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new I just bought a 98 expedition e.b. 5.4 4wd....you can tell the motors been swapped everything works fine except the gauges...the suspension light is on because I have a bad rear shock but why wouldn't the gauges work if the warning lights are working....I checked all the fuses are good I just pulled the cluster and the air bag light is burned out so I can get rid of that annoying beeping and the door ajar light was missing I'm guessing they didn't know the trick for that but I'm stumped on the gauges any idea....mind you everything in the truck works fine windows locks etc....

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the instrument cluster ground wire(s) for continuity from the connector to chassis ground.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually behind the kick panels.

Attachments

• 062.001.pdf
    57.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 062.002.pdf
    59.1 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
R

Rage187u

Reaction score
Ground is ok I did find a couple missing and burnt out bulbs when I pulled the cluster...I replaced them all so now I have air bag light abs light door ajar and check suspension....abs light is intermittent I knw about the door sensors for the door ajar so I tried to pull the codes with one of those cheap pocket scanners and it says no codes...?...?

OP
OP
R

Rage187u

Reaction score
Yes ...I'm going to replace the cluster next week and see if that works but I still don't understang how the airbag light and suspension light are in but it's throwing no codes?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The cluster is married to the pcm. If you don't marry the new cluster to the pcm you have a no start issue. And of course it is dealer only.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rage187u

Reaction score
But the truck starts and runs fine. Windows work fine etc. do you think I should get it read at a dealer before replacing the cluster? I'm just trying to go the cheapest route before I start throwing money

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try smacking the top of the dash to jolt the electronics. You don't want to break anything though, just a good firm smack.
If any of them start working it may be from a loose connection on the board or in a chip.
There are companies that repair instrument clusters. Google "instrument cluster repair" for a list.