Towing upgrades for NON HD towing pkg Expeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
no FX4 . But I verified it has the 9.75 rear end and axles.

3.31, 9.75, S570B

Prior to 2018, the 4x2 had 3.31 gears, even with HD Tow. It's what I have and it tows my 7k camper fine. But you'll definitely want all the cooling goodies, including an oil cooler and larger radiator. I forget how the transmission cooler works on the 4th gen...I think it dumps heat to the coolant. Check the spring part numbers, as the HD Tow may have stiffer ones. Even with HD Tow, a WDH is needed for tongue weights over 600 lbs.

OP
OP
A

andyak

Reaction score
I don't have the MAX version - but have the 9.75 rear end with 3.31.

Just towed double jetski trailer (bigger one that is galvanized tubing) with 2 larger skis - so at least 3000lb with no trailer brakes - My Expy towed awesome - hottest the tranny got was 226 - about an hour each way 70-80 mph mostly freeway in 100 degree texas heat - average 13.5mpg.

No issues with this weight and aerodynamic presentation.

As to Mishimoto radiator - I have seen some bad reviews of leaking after install etc. - I also have not found one specifically for the Expedition Gen4 - any insight on this?