GEM causes '-------' odometer problem with engine shutdown, intermittent malfunction?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duane Wong

Reaction score
The White 1999 Expedition is at K&D Auto Electric getting a GEM and fuse relay box changed out. About $410 in parts.

The headlamps go on and cannot be turned off.

I wonder if the lack if 'communication between the GEM and the PCM is the cause of the '-------' on the odometer and subsequent shutdown.

Water may have gotten on the GEM and relay fuse box damaging them.

Duane Wong

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's MULTIPLE threads about this exact issue (including a couple of mine). It is a VERY well known fact the 1st edition Expys have issues with the windshield leaking and causing GEM& PCM issues. It's also a well known fact that the solder joints for the odometer will crack (as noted in the posted YT video). I've been chasing a similar issue that I originally thought (and was told by a dealership) that I have a PATS issue. I've done a ton of testing, and research. I'm still not totally convinced that's my issue, and have started looking elsewhere for the source of the issue. I read on an F-150 forum that the same year trucks were also having issues with the PCM relay, and PCM diode going bad and causing very similar issues. I've recently replaced both of them on my 99 EB, and so far, have not had any further issues. If I do, then I'm going to have to assume that my windshield is leaking, and is the source of my problems.......although I have not seen ANY evidence of water leakage. Good luck with your truck. I absolutely HATE chasing electrical issues....especially intermittent ones.

OP
OP
D

Duane Wong

Reaction score
The "--------" on odometer is a lose chip on the circuit board and has nothing to do with GEM. If you can take the dashboard apart and solder, you can fix it easily.
I already had the odometer soldered by a company that was trusted by K&D Auto Electric in Somerset, PA, and the odometer readings came back. But, the problem I am having is not a blank fluorescent odometer display intermittently going blank randomly. My problem in the instrument cluster has been repaired previously. I didnt mention that in my post.

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I already had the odometer soldered by a company that was trusted by K&D Auto Electric in Somerset, PA, and the odometer readings came back. But, the problem I am having is not a blank fluorescent odometer display intermittently going blank randomly. My problem in the instrument cluster has been repaired previously. I didnt mention that in my post.
You are right, I misread your post. Sorry.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score