Going to paint it...need some advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmrseed

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you will refer to the pics below, I shall explain my attempt at a new project. The tan interior on a stock expy is gross....not the tan part but the two day old coffee meets two week old baby shit brown used for accent pieces....see pic
163_0304_2l1998_ford_expedition_suvinterior.jpg

that's not my interior...I found it on google so if you see this and it's yours then well...we have the same crappy interior colors but your has less french fries on the floor...anyway I want to PAINT the accent pieces but do it well. I do NOT want to paint it per the instructions of all these truck mags I have which detail very well how to smooth and paint pieces for truck show circuit. I want the bumps and texture of a stock dash...I want a stock looking piece but in the color scheme reflected below (94-95 mustang...cobra to be specific)
dash2.jpg

however, if I don't smooth out the plastic pieces will the paint be unwilling to stick and look like crap. What are the best products to use for a professional but stock look? Thanks

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my engine paint has yet to chip on my center console. i just did about 2-3 light coats and i can still see the texture and feel it. no sand paper just cleaned let it dry and paint. then let it dry again. but dont do anymore than 2-3 coats. other wise itll be too thick and you cant see the texture. some of my center is like that as well. :( but its black no tan. so if you want anything black use that paint. i use it for everything! works great and it can withstand high heat. used some in the new fireplace me and my dad put in. haha

dcarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
biggest thing is prep. CLEAN it really good. use a quality paint too. light scuff with a scotch brite pad and clean it again. also an adhesion promoter is always a good idea.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
prep is key!

i've had my interior parts painted in my explorer now since 2004. i had them done at a body shop but i kept the texture and just color matched them to the outside. something i plan to do to my expy also.

4-26-05021Small.jpg

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im actually in the process of two/tri toning my interior. but im using bed liner on all the little pieces. ill take a pic.

OP
OP
mmrseed

mmrseed

Full Access Members
Reaction score
anybody have any favorite product brands for paints or adhesion promoters? Also, since I want black, I know I don't want gloss but do I need flat or satin?

dcarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dupli color makes decent stuff. as far as satin or flat or semi-gloss you have to decide how flat or shiny you want. top of the can will give you somewhat of an idea but you can sometimes change it a tiny bit depending on coats/thickness

OP
OP
mmrseed

mmrseed

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so will a can actually work and get professional results or should I invest in a sprayer? Again, I'm only doing a few brown plastic pieces black

dcarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you take your time and do it right a can will be fine for what your doing. practice on a couple things if your not sure how smooth you can lay it out