Going to paint it...need some advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I painted mine with regular spray paint... I think it was krylon the stuff for plastics... been over 2 years now and still holding up... best pic I currently have

100_1292.jpg

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since the parts you are likely to paint are made from hard plastic, the prep is quite simple.
pull your pieces off the truck and clean them with regular household rubbing alcohol.
then give them a few light coats of primer (white for light colors, greys for mediums, and flat black for darks) or any combination you want to get the right "texture" or color tone.
once the primer dries you can use krylon in a rattlecan. gloss colors wont fade if you also use a spray on clear coat, flat black however must remain flat to get the right effect, so you must redo it every few years, but that's ok because it's just a quick wipe and a few finger presses.

I wanted a sort of " dark gunmetal " accent inside so I just hit a few pieces with cheap walmart flat black $.98cents a can

there's some pictures of the door panels in my album if you want to check it out,
I just flat blacked the part behind the door handle, the window button cover, the top corner triangle pieces, and the little plastic part that surrounds the door lock at the top
I'm going to do some of the center console at some point as well... something tasteful, not to vulgar or aggressive, just complimentary accents, maybe mixed with a little body color here and there. But I rather like the grey interior with the leather, way better than sand tan.

OP
OP
mmrseed

mmrseed

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok so rubbing alcohol, then scotch brite scuffing, then primer and paint. I'm going to start on that next weekend hopefully.

My only dilemma is the a/c vents. That is going to be hard because I can't leave them brown if everything else is black

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the easy answer is to go to the hardware store and buy a roll of 2 inch wide painters, or masking tape,

tape off a large area with the tape and some old newspaper...anything you don't want overspray on!!

then use a cotton swab to clean the vents with alcohol, make sure to remember more light coats are better than one heavy coat, and allow for proper drying/tack times for re-coats, and also make sure to hit it from all four directions top bottom left right, and make sure you move the vent slider thing during the process to insure total paint coverage.

and the idea comes to mind....are they at all removeable? if they are just go the junk yard and swap them for ones with a better color.

Last edited:

redrebel66

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used Krylon in my old Ranger and it held up great for 3 years till I sold it. I did smooth out all the pieces though as i didn't want texture.

I did all the black:
interior_shot.jpg

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my neighbor is a professional painter and when i asked him about he said that SEM is one of the best brands for this sort of stuff. He used it on his mustang and its held up perfectly for years

OP
OP
mmrseed

mmrseed

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks all for the advice and while I don't like the smooth glossy look generally, that ranger looks good. I like that

Anyway, since expys never had a black interior, going to the junk yard isn't an option...although I do believe the Harley F150's had black interiors...I think...or maybe it was the lincoln pup

redrebel66

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I did my Ranger I went to junk yard and got extra parts so I could have the originals if I messed up.