Gotts Mod question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
For what its worth, ive learned thru experience that pretty much any and all air intake mods dont do anything. Piping really means nothing honestly. The only thing that makes sense for piping is that the less bends in the piping the better air flow you get. But thats about it.
What ive learned from having 5 performance mustangs and my Lightning, is that an open filter is about all you need. The stock intake systems are fine, its just the air "box" thats restrictive. Swap that out and you're good to go.
I did the Gotts-Mod, but it did nothing for me until I swapped in a K&N filter.

My mustang with a homemade ram air set up back when I was running it naturally aspirated gained an average 1.5 mph in the 1/4. So this was about a 15 hp gain. Now this was with my headlight removed and a straight shot into the mass air sensor (no filter) as compared to my stock air box with K&N installed. Consider that the car was trapping at speeds in excess of 112mph so the ram air was much more effective. So I tend to agree with Spartacus and believe that any gains you get will be minimal.

Once you remove the restrictive snorkle and do the gotts mod....I really don't think you will see any measureable gain with any ram air set up.

OP
OP
BakerEdition

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Good Evening Gents,
The only reason I am even thinking this, is because when the temp outside rises so does the temp under the hood causing a loss in power...My thought was just to get as much cooler air in that intake as possible...with an open Filter..which I do have a K&N in her...it would suck in even more hot air...my thoughts were to get to vents in front one for the intake and the other just to bring cool air under the hood...I will be hooking up my new Edge CS programmer tomorrow and am going to do some temp studies before any mods and then after...Im not looking for 0-to 60 times...Just knowing its there when i need the power.. my 2 cents..

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i dont know i built a ram air for my corolla and went from getting 40 highway mpg to about 45 highway mpg. there was a hole in the bottom of air box so i just ran some pvc straight down into a 90 degree elbow straight out the fog light cover which i removed i dont have fog light on mine so it was easy. and that was still with a paper filter

99exbyut

Reaction score
ive made many intake for cars and piping really dont matter i know that. but if you can get a chance to get some colder air in the better. ive been trying to think of a way for me to get colder air into my exby with out haveing to throw out my stock air box out of it. thats why im going to try and make a intake like this. once i figure out how to run it all with out it looking like crap.

OP
OP
BakerEdition

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
well I just ordered some goodies tonight from china....if you look at my pictures in my profile..everything has to have a place and looks are important...I will be working on my mod after i do some testing with the new programmer tomorrow...will keep everyone posted and pictures will come.

TheGuyWho

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally, i'd invest my time and money in making a snorkel for our trucks or I wouldnt bother… K&N, Gotts-Mod, and be done with it.

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if only i could gain 5mpg on my expy like i did my corolla lol i would patent it and be rich haha. o by the way now that my corolla is wrecked i get an average of 26 city and 36 highway. o and my highway was all mountain driving. and if you dont know i am almost always WOT. i know people getting over 50mpgs in corolla with sensible foot and you will never see that milage in a smart car haha smart my a$$, not when the rest of america drives big trucks

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally, i'd invest my time and money in making a snorkel for our trucks or I wouldnt bother… K&N, Gotts-Mod, and be done with it.

:grd::grd::happy107::happy107::happy107::happy107::happy107::happy107::happy107:

I like it, idk why companies haven't made a snorkel for the 97-03 F150 with the 5.4L or the 4.6L seeing as how its the number one selling pickup truck in the WORLD! and at one time the most popular vehicle in the world lol.

I would love one because personally I FeAr water going into the intake and will usually avoid it if at all possible

99exbyut

Reaction score
i like the snorkel idea but the expy is my wifes and she dont like to look of them. so im going this way to try and see if it make any diff. once i have a hole day to see what i have to work with and get all the material lined up to do it.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
snorkels have been done before. dont ask me where the pics are. i dont remember. its on EF.com thats all i know. and i think its safari snorkel that makes it. but you have to edit it a bit to make it fit 100%. i think im gonna do this now. gonna take off my grill tomorrow and bed line it. and so i guess im gonna look for a way to do this while im at it.