Gravel feel when accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all…weird symptom I’m experiencing.
When I’m accelerating hard, I get this gravel rough feeling coming thru the gas pedal…almost like it’s coming from front diff or maybe the axle trying to engage 4x4 or something. Under normal acceleration it feels normal and smooth as always.

It shifts fine in either circumstance, but maybe its torque converter related? Front diff?
It’s a 2007 Limited 4x4

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bump. Curious if anyone has any thoughts. I’m wondering if it could be engine related too…since I’m feeling it thru gas pedal?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
When was the last time the infamous spark plugs were all changed? My initial thought is that it is a miss. Nobody likes changing those plugs, so if you didn't change them yourself it's quite possible that they have not all been changed any time recently.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When was the last time the infamous spark plugs were all changed? My initial thought is that it is a miss. Nobody likes changing those plugs, so if you didn't change them yourself it's quite possible that they have not all been changed any time recently.
Good thought. I had Ford change them about year and half ago…20k miles ago.
It also had a bad coil pack at the time…and I recall what that felt like. This is definitely different. ‍

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The more I think about it…it’s gotta be engine related. Would coil packs cause this type of behavior when they go bad? The last one that went bad…it just caused hesitating at certain RPM’s. What other symptoms might point to bad coil packs?

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think it could be related to the 4wd system. It is vacuum operated, and there isn't much vacuum under hard acceleration.

I had similar issues with my 2012 and a new vacuum check valve fixed it. I will say that I never felt it in the pedal tho, it was more of a noise that I'd hear that I knew wasn't quite right... Ymmv

Nickp33

Reaction score
This happened on mine. Mine was a wheel barring on front left wheel. Would have sworn it was something different at the time. Good luck.

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes. Wheel bearing. They'll be felt in the pedal and usually the steering. May change on acceleration, braking, and /or turning.

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is probably the IWE's engaging partially under low-vacuum conditions. I had the exact same issue in my '07 and I discovered that my vacuum line running across the front crossmember had a hole worn in it. I fixed the line and everything got better.