growley brake pedal abs pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gears351

Reaction score
Ok, 116k miles, new brakes (6k miles ago) and now the ABS light comes on, the pedal growls & vibrates and it doesn't want to stop like it used to.

It sounds like the pads are gone so I pulled the wheels and the rotors are clean and smooth and the pad friction material looks brand new (inboard & out, front and rear). When braking the growl comes from the firewall by the pedal, the pedal jounces around and the truck takes a bit longer to stop - sometimes the ABS light is on sometimes it's not.

Searching the forum I think I'll try building a shield around the tone ring pickup on the steering column (there's a TSB about this) but I was wondering if the truck's diagnostics would tell me the ABS code or if I need a dealer to scan it for that.

Is there something common that goes out on these trucks that would cause ABS problems?

Thanks

OP
OP
G

gears351

Reaction score
nope, it keeps pulsing & growling - sometimes the light is on and sometimes it's off. I was hoping it'd stay lit long enough to read a code.

OP
OP
G

gears351

Reaction score
UPDATE: it was the rear wheel bearing gone bad, threw the sensor off - lit the ABS light and the ABS valve was dumping pressure to the rear drivers brake thinking that wheel was locked up. New bearing unit is on order -