Hard shift into 3rd or 4th gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaBuckBoys

Reaction score
Hello all. Just checked in for the first time in a while..Thanks for the tip on shutting off the seat belt chime...

Here's what I got '04 5.4 w/4wd...been a dream so far, its got about 32,000 miles...probably 500-700 miles ago it started shifting real hard, basically at the point you take it from 25-30 mph to higher speeds...wife drives it 1.5 miles to work and home everyday, then its pretty much the full time family hauler on the weekends. I know I need to get it checked out. Just thought y'all might have some advice on what to ask about/what to expect...I can handle maintenance, but I'm not a mechanic and most people I know don't know how to lift a hood...
Thanks guys...I'll probably be around more often...as I consider future upgrades now that its out of warranty and all...

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not a mechanic either, but one possibility is a broken accumulator spring. These, among other things, help determine the firmness of a shift. If a spring breaks then it could affect your shift like you are describing.

It's a medium difficulty fix, messy and moderately difficulty to get the snapring in the right way with the spring pushing on it. I'd find someone trustworthy to do it. A tranny shop'll rape you for this fix.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
have you had the trany flush done? these tranys need to be flushed every 30000 miles more if you tow.

dan1a1984

Reaction score
just had my tranny rebuilt, it is a 04 exp 2wd with 50k miles. the tranny was slipping in higher gears. I bought it used, the ford dealership were i got it repaired sayed it was from driving with a heavy foot. You do not want to wait too long before having it looked at, the longer you wait the more costly?? trust me..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscoford