3rd Gen moving to a 4th Gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prenticect

Reaction score
Hello all 4th Gen owners. I currently have a 17 Limited Max. I am looking to sell and get a 20 Platinium 4wd Max. I really like a lot about my current truck, the lines, the engine, the overall everything... But I bought a dealer demo and I knew the abuse that it was put through would come to rest. Now it has. I have been chasing sensor issues for months, and now the dashboard leask water (some sort of AC issue), the blower motor recall issues... etc. etc. etc. It is at the point where I will be working on it more and more, and this is not a position I want to be in. I wanted a new F250 diesel 4x4, but life says I cannot afford that today, so looking at a slightly used Expy again. 20-21 years under 30k. I have a few that I am seemly good with and can afford.

With that intro, what are some known things I should be aware of looking it over? One big need is the tow package. Not a popular option, I have learned, but I found 2 with it. What exactly is it? Is it the air bag rear suspension, I cant find anything on shocks at all? It is not those stupid load-leveling shocks that never work is it? I know it has the radiator upgrade and tranny cooler (or so I believe) Can I assume if I see the trailer brake controller, then the option is included... I can understand not everyone selling knows these details)

What am I not asking that I should be?

Thanks all

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The tow package does not add air bags, or load leveling. It's just the shocks doing what they do. If your looking at a platinum, it will have ccd, or magnet ride with level sensors, but they don't prevent the rear from sagging.

Pre 21, def ask about the cam phasers and how often if at all if they have been replaced. 21s, ford started to dencontent the expedition pretty heavily, only a real issue of you find a non platty you like. 20 and 21s are covid trucks as well so there are some months where the build quality suffered. General rule, extend the warranty you get.

OP
OP
P

prenticect

Reaction score
That is hilarious (in a negative manner), as I had to fight with Ford to get my 2017 VCT fixed. I know the issue :) I will have to see if I can figure out the build date as it seems later 2020s had the updated phasers. Thanks for that tidbit

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire