Hard to start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

curleywon

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 99 with 179000 miles on it sat for about a month or two while I drove my other car. Two weeks ago my car was totaled so she will be my daily driver again for some time. In the past week whenever I start her, I have to floor the throttle while turning the key and I then have to keep my foot on the throttle keeping the RPM's at just under 1k for 5 minutes or so or she'll cut off thus starting the process all over again. Any ideas on the cause and a possible cure? Getting a can of gum out fuel system cleaner today to see if that helps.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your fuel pressure at the rail. Sounds like your fuel pump is going out. Check pressure and report back with your readings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Kelly

Reaction score
My car sat for about 4-5 months. When I went to start it, it would crank but not start.

Turns out the fuel pump was dead. It appears that letting them sit for months can kill them.

Definitely check your fuel pressure, that will tell you a lot.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter and maybe do a good tune up.

Also check the battery voltage when not running During cranking and when running Post those results

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Electrical items are strange. Sometimes you'll get a warning, like a starter that starts cranking weird. But electrical motors like fuel pumps can work great one minute, then totally go out, or start struggling, then go out. We had a forum member that was having no power, he did a fuel pressure test, wasn't pumping over 16 psi. He replaced pump, back to normal. You always check pressure first. Every part involving running pretty much can be tested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may have 2 issues: a leaking fuel injector/s or a defective fuel pressure regulator and a vacuum leak. If you are not handy with tools ask a mechanic you trust to do a fuel injector balance test, a fuel pressure check at idle and a smoke test. He should also connect a scan tool to measure long term fuel trims.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I doubt the problem is the injectors,regulator or a vacuum leak. Leaky injectors will cause a long cranking time while the system pressurizes, a stuck regulator will cut fuel or cause an overly rich fuel system. Lean conditions usually will cause the check engine light to come on. None of which you are mentioning.

Having to keep the engine at a fast idle for 5 minutes will warm it and may put the ecm into closed loop operation.

How old is the gas in the tank?
How does it run once it is warmed up?
How does it crank if you turn it off and restart again once it is warmed up?
Check engine light on?