Has anyone tried to steal your vehicle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just reading a thread online about a guys 2012 Tahoe, he parked a ways away from his office and then had his coworker drop him off at the truck. They found a guy slamming the hood shut, jumping in, and driving it. Luckily they boxed him in with the coworkers car so the criminal got out and took off so the truck didn’t get stolen from its owner in the end. The steering column was all torn up with a mess of wires. But it makes you wonder.....is it that easy to steal our modern vehicles, even when locked? Not sure how id react to it. I mean with no key the guy bypassed the alarm, and started this dude’s truck and had it in drive!!

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With enough time almost anything is possible. If the thief has experience in 12v work GM security isn't all that. Depending on choice of alarm or if it had a remote start they can make it super easy on a thief. The older VATS system in most GM cars utilized 1 of 15 different resistor values paired whatever cut of a key for your cylinder. Again if you can defeat the cylinder and inject one of those 15 values into the system you're on your way. Bypassing the start enable relay is also fairly quick, all the wiring is right in the kick panel in most of them.

Some of the lesser systems that cant do keylearn or certain cars with 80bit systems will sacrifice a key and utilize a key wrap. Literally put a key in a box with an antenna loop in it that is wired into the PATS system so the remote start can "insert" the key by energizing a relay more or less. You energize that relay and manage to turn the cylinder in the column and you're off, or better yet just rip the key out and start er up.

If it's the factory alarm, defeating a horn to give you plenty of work time and not draw attention is a pretty easy thing if you know the vehicle and unfortunately for GM there are quite a few similarities through most years and models.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don’t get how or why some go through so much work to rip off others. We purchase the things, keep them fueled, pay to maintain them....then some deadbeat comes along and tries to steal our stuff and spends time and money figuring out how. Ah well such is life.

Last edited:

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty much goes for anything that is commonly stolen. Phones, shoes, animals. Its because for some reason some people are just a pos and would rather put in twice as much effort and all the risk rather than do things right.

In you example above its far less "work" than you think most likely. When you're breaking in, and tearing columns and covers apart you can be to critical wiring in a matter of seconds. Its rather difficult to actually prevent a determined individual from taking something. Best bet is to focus on deterrence and recovery. A quality alarm with battery backup and wiring concealed and protected to the best of your ability is a great tool, paired with a concealed, hardwired, battery backup enabled gps tracker will give you ample time to be aware of the theft and see its whereabouts.

Adding starter interrupt is is a risk/reward you have to evaluate. Personally I'm not a fan because a simple failure can leave you completely stranded which in my eye outweighs its benefit. If I had a 100k vehicle i might change my mind...or might not because if I can afford one, I likely can obtain another and have good insurance.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just don’t get how or why some go through so much work to rip off others. We purchase the things, keep them fueled, pay to maintain them....then some deadbeat comes along and tries to steal our stuff and spends time and money figuring out how. Ah well such is life.
Unfortunately society promotes that kind of behavior with all the entitlements and handouts. You shouldn’t have to start at the bottom anymore and work your way up. The Police are treated like they are criminals for trying to do their jobs and the criminals get sympathy instead of punishment. Oh yeah and lets tax the shit out of the rich to punish success and give to the poor to reward failure. Give all the kids trophies even if they come in last place. We now teach that it’s ok to be a loser. Very Sad

marlinpruett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last summer we had our grandson staying over and he and I went somewhere and upon returning I forgot to lock the doors on my 2007.
Here is what happened at about 1:00am Sunday morning.....

He got a spare key fob, truck door key, and a house key.
I reprogrammed the key fob, re keyed the truck door key lock and changed all the locks at the house.Cost me about $300.00!
On Monday morning at 6:00 am daylight, this masked women attempted to steal the truck! She gave up quickly when the fob did not open the doors.

Plati

Reaction score
Unfortunately society promotes that kind of behavior with all the entitlements and handouts. You shouldn’t have to start at the bottom anymore and work your way up. The Police are treated like they are criminals for trying to do their jobs and the criminals get sympathy instead of punishment. Oh yeah and lets tax the shit out of the rich to punish success and give to the poor to reward failure. Give all the kids trophies even if they come in last place. We now teach that it’s ok to be a loser. Very Sad
There is a certain segment of the US population that thinks like this. I'm guessing 25%. There is a certain segment that thinks the complete opposite of this. I'm guessing 25%. Then there is the remaining 50% who are in the middle and see a little of both sides. By numbers, some of the statements made by the 25 %'rs are a little absurd to 75% of the population, even if they are somewhat correct.

People on this Forum keep bringing up the trophy for competing thing. Is that really the standard now or is that just something that was a trend in places at some point? One human thing is to innovate and try new things. Someone thought this up and tried it I guess, is it really that bad? Does anyone really think a car thief became a car thief because they once got a trophy just for competing? As someone who was always last to be picked for a team in gym class, I like the idea of encouraging kids to participate. I still remember the kind words of my little league coach when I was 10 and will be forever grateful.

Stealing is probably the oldest profession in human history. Existed long before all the proposed root causes named above. Maybe all those horrible things have made it worse but maybe it's not worse than it used to be or that there are other causes such as drug addiction or the degradation of the family.

I once had a girlfriend who LOVED anything free. She lived in Alaska because they had the Permanent Fund which wrote each resident a check every year just for breathing. I think it blew get mind and from then on the goal was to not work and get as much free stuff as she could. She wasn't above stealing, stole from me! So I can relate to the entitlements part above. However, do we abandon people truly needy because some abuse the system due to mental problems? Such is life

Last edited:

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score

There is a certain segment of the US population that thinks like this. I'm guessing 25%. There is a certain segment that thinks the complete opposite of this. I'm guessing 25%. Then there is the remaining 50% who are in the middle and see a little of both sides. By numbers, some of the statements made by the 25 %'rs are a little absurd to 75% of the population, even if they are somewhat correct.

People on this Forum keep bringing up the trophy for competing thing. Is that really the standard now or is that just something that was a trend in places at some point? One human thing is to innovate and try new things. Someone thought this up and tried it I guess, is it really that bad? Does anyone really think a car thief became a car thief because they once got a trophy just for competing? As someone who was always last to be picked for a team in gym class, I like the idea of encouraging kids to participate. I still remember the kind words of my little league coach when I was 10 and will be forever grateful.

Stealing is probably the oldest profession in human history. Existed long before all the proposed root causes named above. Maybe all those horrible things have made it worse but maybe it's not worse than it used to be or that there are other causes such as drug addiction or the degradation of the family.

I once had a girlfriend who LOVED anything free. She lived in Alaska because they had the Permanent Fund which wrote each resident a check every year just for breathing. I think it blew get mind and from then on the goal was to not work and get as much free stuff as she could. She wasn't above stealing, stole from me! So I can relate to the entitlements part above. However, do we abandon people truly needy because some abuse the system due to mental problems? Such is life

Oldest profession is definitely prostitution.:D

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I’m sure that I am in the minority in my way of thinking because if I wasn’t then society wouldn’t accept this behavior. I was brought up believing that you have the opportunity in this country to be as successful as you want but you have to work for it. By working for your success it also gives you respect, honor, and pride for your accomplishments. When as person has self pride then I believe he is incapable of stealing and taking government redistribution. Pride,Honor, and Respect is what I believe makes a man. So I’ll have to respectfully disagree with the other 75 percent.

Plati

Reaction score
I’m sure that I am in the minority in my way of thinking because if I wasn’t then society wouldn’t accept this behavior. I was brought up believing that you have the opportunity in this country to be as successful as you want but you have to work for it. By working for your success it also gives you respect, honor, and pride for your accomplishments. When as person has self pride then I believe he is incapable of stealing and taking government redistribution. Pride,Honor, and Respect is what I believe makes a man. So I’ll have to respectfully disagree with the other 75 percent.

By no means did I say that 75% of Americans disagree with your last post about hard work. If anything 75% of people would agree with that. Don't conflate that with the statements you made in your first post. Totally different.

I was raised the same way and I'm lucky with 2 solid parents with me all the way. Still are at 95! Strong Indiana values and ethics. I'm also blessed with average intelligence, health, good luck, etc. I know plenty of people who have struggled because they are not as fortunate.

Maybe I can take it from your response that in your opinion a root cause of car theft is Trophy's for participating. Not sure

In some societies , steal and they cut off your hand. Sharia Law. Glad we don't have that situation.

I also don't think Police are treated like criminals for doing their jobs. I think that's a fringe case. 99% of the time Police are respected and appreciated for putting their life on the line to protect us. Maybe the media doesn't report all the good things that happen because it's not news? It's expected. Doesn't make it any less heroic.

Last edited: