Headlight Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My headlights are seriously lacking.

I currently have the stock housings on my 2000 Ex fitted with some Eurodezigns 8500k bulbs in size 9007. They are basically halogen bulbs but are more white/blue than the typical yellow/white halogen bulbs.

Anyway, I like how they look in the housings when lit (color-wise), but they are lacking in output. There is also next to no difference between my low beams and highbeams. They are terrible on an unlit street at night, particularly in rain/snow. Having my windows tinted compounds this problem further.

What do you suggest? Pick one of the below options or make a new suggestion, please.

1) Replace the bulbs with different bulbs (ie: Sylvania Silverstar Ultras)

2) Upgrade headlights with an HID conversion kit (preferably using stock housings, but possibly in ebay halo/projectors)

3) Add additional driving lights (preferably behind grille, but possibly on a bullbar)

4) Other suggestion

Finally, I'm open to suggestions about brands/stores, etc. Thanks in advance!

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the 8500k bulbs are using the same wattage as the stock bulbs, that's probably the reason why the output looks weak. The "whiter" halogen bulbs, including the SS bulbs, have a blue tint to them. This acts as a filter, filtering out some of the output (mainly in the yellows, leaving mostly the cooler end of the spectrum.)

I'd get some HIDs. Your stocks aren't the clear, are they? I don't know if I'd get ebay projectors, but try to get something close to stock. Just make sure you aim them a little low.

OP
OP
R

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, Elvato.

I learned about the correlation between the number and output after I purchased the bulbs, unfortunately.

It seems that somethign in the range of 5000k to 6000k would be better for my needs.

As far as the housings go. I have the stock style housings on my 2000 Expedition. Basically, it is a single bulb (hi/lo) set up designed for a halogen 9007 bulb. The turn signals are in separate housings.

As far as HID goes. Do you think they would be okay in a stock housing? I'm worried about the notorious glare and about losing my hi-beams (for legal and practical reasons).

Finally, any recommendations for HID brands/stores?

And do you really think the SS bulbs are not worth it and won't be an improvement?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get a bi-xenon setup that lets you keep your high beams. Basically, it's a solenoid that moves the bulb either up and down or in and out.

Do you know if your bulbs you have in now are stock wattage? If they are, the SS's will probably make a difference.

OP
OP
R

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have seen those bi-xenon set ups. I was wondering if they were actually worth the money and worked well. I was a little skeptical, what are your thoughts/experience?

I have also heard of dual-bulb setups on a single socket, but I haven't been able to find them anywhere.

Also, the current bulbs are stock specs. They are really just a different color because of the xenon/krypton gas opposed to the halogen gas. They are the same wattage, though.

So, I guess I could try the SS bulbs first. They aren't that expensive. And if that doesn't work to my liking, maybe I'll try some bi-xenon HID kit.

Thanks again, Elvato.

And as always, I'm still open to everyone else's input/advice.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The F150 guys use bixenon setups without much hassle, it seems.

But yea, try the SS's out first, and see how much of an improvement they give you.

OP
OP
R

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update:

Attempted to re-aim the headlights, thinking that would help some....

Aiming the 97-02 headlights is a PITA! After an hour, they are aimed better but still not perfect.

During the process I realized that I only had one function light when I turned my high beams on.

So I replaced the bulbs with some regular halogens. Nothing special, just cheapest reputable replacement bulbs I had lying around the garage.

It's sad to say, but they are actually an improvement over the Eurodezigns bulbs. The output is same, but the Euro bulbs color was too blue for practical use, I suppose.

I think I'm going to take a chance an install a 5000k bi-xenon HID kit in the stock housings. I know this isn't recommended due to the glare issue, but I'll give it a shot. I think I will be going with a kit from retro-solutions.com. They seem to have a good reputation/warranty. I might even go with their higher output 55 watt kit.

Anyone have anything to say about HID's in the stock 97-02 housings? Or anything about the retro-solution.com's kits?

thereason21

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remo, let me know how that goes. I aint been around for awhile i would have recommended the silverstars too. I have silverstars in the Headlights and the fogs. I have blackouts on the headlights which make that a little difficult to see but with the fogs on ... shiiiiiit they are better than most cars high beams on the road.