Heated seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Prior to purchasing my truck, the dealership that sold me the vehicle replaced the heated seat control module and relay as part of the CPO (certified pre-owned) process. The problem at the time was that the heated seats were shutting off immediately after being turned on.

That repair got them working again and working well - but they would shut off at precisely 15 minutes. Usually you could turn them back on, but on a few occasions they wouldn't turn back on until the vehicle was shut off and restarted. I lived with them like this for awhile, but presented the issue to my local dealer when bringing the truck in for a few other issues. I actually thought that perhaps it was programmed to shut off at 15 minutes, but the entire service staff insisted that is not the case (and I just read on another forum that the 3rd gen Expys do have a 15-min timer on heated seats??).

The local dealer ran diagnostics and determined the control module was bad - again. They replaced it and claimed everything was working. Unfortunately, that wasn't (and isn't) the case. The seats now stay on for as long as I want to run them, but they don't get hot. On high, after about 15 minutes they get slightly warm - and unevenly so. The service manager acknowledged the issue and submitted a query to Ford Motor Co (FMC). FMC went over all of the diagnostics with them and the end result was that the dealer can find no faults with the seats - but they still don't heat up properly.

I am convinced this can't possibly be a coincidence as they worked fine (except for shutting off prematurely) prior to the control module replacement. I inquired as to whether the new module could be bad or whether perhaps it needed to be reprogrammed. My theories were quickly dismissed because the tech insists that if the module was bad, there would be a DTC. However, as a last ditch goodwill gesture, the dealer is going to replace the blowers/TEDs in the seat. If that fails though, they're going to send me on my way with non-working heated seats and an RO that says nothing is wrong with them. :think:

Thoughts?

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not had any problems with mine yet, but there is a filter under the seat. Surely the dealer checked an or replaced this if needed. If the filter is dirty or clogged, it certainly could effect heating.

My 2011 will certainly heat for longer than 15 minutes.

OP
OP
K

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not had any problems with mine yet, but there is a filter under the seat. Surely the dealer checked an or replaced this if needed. If the filter is dirty or clogged, it certainly could effect heating.

My 2011 will certainly heat for longer than 15 minutes.

The filters were changed in May 2015, but look like I did them last week. Just to be sure, the dealer removed them during testing; there was no improvement in operation.