Heater AC Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Odajima

Reaction score
I have an 04 expedition. Max AC works well and blows extremely cold. When I change to any other setting besides Max AC it blows warm to hot air into the cabin (both front and rear). The temperature dial also does nothing to change the air temperature even on max AC, always cold. Is it a control unit or how do I diagnosis the problem?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is a Eatc full electronic unit? Or is it the more basic knob control. I'm guessing the former. They act up more.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try to use the normal AC (not MAX) when the engine is cold in the morning. If you get cold or cool air when the engine is cold check the hot water valve for function. If you have one, put a vacuum gauge on the hot water valve vacuum line, right there at the hot water valve end (it's a pretty obvious vacuum, so you can use your finger too...). See if the vacuum changes as you request warmer air / colder air. You should feel strong vacuum on that line when you request cold air and a gradual decrease in vacuum as you request warmer air. The hot water valve actuation arm will move back and forth with the vacuum. The actuation arm should be sucked in to close off hot water to the heater cores when full vacuum is applied through that line. If there is vacuum present but you do not see the actuation arm being sucked in the hot water valve is bad and should be replaced. If there is NO vacuum present your problem is in the vacuum line and you'll need to trace that from the supply side vacuum line, through the control module (under the dash at the front end of the center console...), and back out the firewall to the hot water valve. If you follow the hot water valve vacuum line to the firewall you should see the supply line from the engine source going through the same pass-thru grommet in the firewall. Make sure that line is in good shape and no leaks. That should get you started on troubleshooting it anyway.....

Hot water valve ....
5E0MTA.jpg

Vacuum lines at the firewall .... left is supply, right (shrouded) is line to hot water valve....
u3XL1a.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sam Odajima

Reaction score
When I use max ac there is a vacuum on the supply line. Regular ac there is no suction at all.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Manual controls. Notice any clicking just under the top of the dash when you're trying to change temps ? Like a faulty blend door actuator ? How long has the Expy had this issue ?
Here's a video Ford Tech made showing the replacement of the blend door actuator just to give you an idea of what's involved: In the mean time you can zip tie the hot water valve in the closed position till you get it fixed.

OP
OP
S

Sam Odajima

Reaction score
The valve appears to be working. If I zip tie it closed it stays cool. There is no noise like the blend door is trying to open or close.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can pick up another control head unit off ebay for $30 or so and try that, then there's the vacuum control solenoid assembly...

sscharlie

Reaction score
The Blend Door Actuator is a common failure on all fords that use them. If the gears inside are already striped off it wont find home and keep running. The blend door it;s self could be broken and can't change position. The actuator is a lot easier to change than the blend door.
Both mine in the back unit had failed when I bought my 04. Since I use mine for hauling tools, I never ride back there or have passengers to tell me it wasn't working. By chance one day I had the AC on and opened the hatch and felt warm air so I knew it was bad. The cheap ones don't work as well as the OEM's. Don't ask me how I know dat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Funfetti