Heavy Duty Radiator upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O

Offwego

Reaction score
Sorry it took so long. I received the supposed HD radiator. It looks exactly like the standard one size, depth and rows. Takes a bit of time to replace but you can do it without having to remove the AC coil. I really can’t say that it made a difference. I upgraded the intercooler at the same time. That made a big difference in performance and reduced temps while towing. I believe the stock intercooler was getting saturated too quickly. So if I were to do it again I would skip the radiator and just swap the intercooler. I used the CPE intercooler. The only thing I don’t like about it is that the blow off now vents to outside and it can be a little loud.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Joe” is just mad he’s lost every single sparring match he’s gotten into with me over the years. Must get tiring.

Last edited:

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, unless some other "evidence" of a heavy duty radiator for the 2015-2018 Expy surfaces, at this point seems Ford likely was less than candid about that point. Real world towing experience by yours truly (25+ TT adventures) and others show that the stock radiator does the job just fine. Add an aftermarket electric brake control, fish wires out of the loom for 7 way plug, toss in a trans cooler and you got yourself towing beast for less than $200!...Sweet!...(Build note: Also upgrade the tires on both the TV and TT and add an anti-sway and WD hitch).

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, unless some other "evidence" of a heavy duty radiator for the 2015-2018 Expy surfaces
Once again i will say that a member here Posted he had stock radiator in one hand and HD radiator in other hand. Outside edge was same size to fit in same place. the difference was in the fins.
On the HD radiator the fins were thinner and more rows.

So unless you have both radiators in front of you, you will not be able to notice the difference.
Why would Ford have two seperate part numbers for the same radiator? :beatdeadhorse5:
No conspiracy here.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm especially bothered that Ford won't be clear and unambiguous about this. if there actually is a HD radiator upgrade option, then how is it different and what is the ordering information, including cost? if ford has one, then it knows this information. why not just say so?

Not to be a smart_ss, but if the factory says it, it must be so? My point is that I have seen no conclusive evidence that there is in fact a HD radiator. As noted by Langer earlier in this thread, the standard radiator has an auxiliary trans cooler bracket, (why) if there is actually a HD radiator which would of course be expected to have such an attachment...Don't believe Ford would spend $1.00 where not required...But, I could be wrong?...

PS: Just a thought, but could adding an auxiliary trans cooler to a standard radiator be construed to be a "Radiator Upgrade"?...Manufactures do "play on words" all the time...