Hello all

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dschallmo98expo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
on my 98 expo, I have to completely remove the dash to get to heater core. Fixing to do mine next month, as I purchased it second hand with 165K miles on it and I just got done refurbishing the interior and do not want to damage the trim, carpet, or headliner or seats. Proactive.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See what happens when u step on it !Just kiddin with ya. Pressurize it to be sure. Probably is the core, but check other spots to be sure. Under hood and all fittings and hoses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can bypass the heater core if you still need to drive

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry, wasn't done, run a hose from water pump to block bypassing heater core , right fellas. Remember I'm old school. Don't want to give him any bad info!

OP
OP
S

Silver_Expy

Reaction score
I installed the 9011 HIR's I bought the other day. They're noticeably brighter. Put the old 9005's in the fogs for now until I order another set.

I work night shift so I'll hopefully get to look at the hoses before work today if I don't sleep too long. Looks like heater core (and/or hoses) and the hub will be next on the agenda. Still have to fix the electrical gremlins before the snow comes

JamesRG

Reaction score
Just recently bought a 1998 Expedition 4WD. Heater kicked on when I went to run the AC and smelled coolant. Rear AC works great. From my researching it sounds like it's the heater core. Yea. Well since I'm in Austin (Buda) I don't need the heater much so I'm looking at bypassing the heater core at least until next winter, those 2 weeks in December.

I've watched a few youtube videos on bypassing the heater core. Looks easy enough for a non-mechanic!

By the way, this is my first post and I'm looking forward to learning more about my 98 Expy here. I also came across this forum while searching "matte black paint Expedition" and saw a really nice $250 DIY in a member's driveway. Looks great!