Hello from Oslo, Norway!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rust

Reaction score
Hello Folks!

The time is 10:40 in the morning here in Norway. Winter has come, and my beloved 2003 Expy EB 4X4 just waiting for quantities of snow, so it can show what it is good for.

I have owned these car for 9 of the 10 years, and it has only covered 83885 miles.

Here in Norway we have unfortunately a sick tax policy when it comes to cars. When my car was new, it would with 7 seats cost me approx. U.S. $ 200,000 (!). By building the car for 2 seats with a wall behind the front seats, the price drops to U.S. $ 72,000. When the car was registered as a truck with the limitations that entails. Here are some of them: The car cannot run faster than 50 m/h. In the winter, you have to bring 3 complete set with snow chains, pay the toll roads with the same price as a large truck and many more restrictions.

The Norwegian government has set minimum requirements for compartment behind the seats. If you change or move the wall behind the seats, so you get a fine equivalent to the difference in the price of a similar car with 7 seats. In my case this would cost me U.S. $ 128,000 in those cases people have moved wall as much as 1 cm, then you have to pay. You cannot drive with passengers in the cargo hold.

After 10 years, I can finally install the seats without paying the fee. This applies to all vehicles that have been a passenger car, and have being converted into a truck. I have had my seats vacuum packed in the attic for 9 years, and has just wrapped them up. Now I will install these seats in the car as soon as possible.

Cars are generally expensive in Norway compared to the rest of Europe and the United States. The only cars that have nice prices are electric cars. In October, the way Tesla S the best-selling car in Norway, along with the Nissan Leaf. Currently, electric vehicles have many advantages. Low fees, free charging stations at parking places, can run in special lanes into the capital. In these days goes all Norway waiting for the best-selling car in the last 25-30 years to come in electric versions. The name is VW E - Golf.

With gasoline, prices are also high, despite the fact that we are one of the richest oil-producing countries; we shall pay the blood price of U.S. $ 10.60 per. Gallon. With expensive taxes on cars and expensive gasoline, it is not surprising that Norway is the country in the world that already has the most electric cars in terms of population. Norway is the largest importer of Tesla S.

I will upload some pictures of my car before I remove the wall so you can see how sick laws we have here. With a 5.4 L, engine that drinking quantities of expensive gasoline, so I converted my Expy to LPG gas. I have removed the spare wheel and installed a tank of 90 liters. With a price of U.S. $ 4.70 per. gallon of LPG gas, so I can allow myself to get into a little extra hard on the gas pedal in a while.

Well, that was not so much about me, but Norwegian car taxes. I come back with a little info about myself, but many of my interests is in my profile.

Sorry for my bad US/English grammar.

Have a nice day all my friends in The United States.

Regards Paal

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome and holy $hit, it's expensive up there. Is it really worth it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome .. A co-worker from Denmark has told me about crazy prices $$ and taxes,
I though we had high taxes here in Canada :smokin:

OP
OP
R

Rust

Reaction score
Yes, that's right folks. Car and gasoline prices are completely lost in the night. Now we certainly mean high wages in this country , but it also our neighboring country Sweden. There are about car prices in excess of half .

Nice to hear that others have been in Bergen on military base " Håkonsvern " I have also been there a while. Bergen is a beautiful city, but unfortunately too much rain . :)

Otherwise, I struggle with corrosion in the front of the hood and the liftgate . For me, the warranty out long ago , so I have to pay these paint damage from his own pocket . I have talked to many painters and they say that it is impossible to paint with a resulatat that will last long . Corrosion will come back.

A few mil from where I live is AUDI its special workshop for cars collision damaged , or paint problems. They say the same. Replace the hood and liftgate and prevent the paint especially where aluminum is bent and flashed together. They also say that Ford has been very stingy on paint base. The price of a new bonnet and a new liftgate costs more than my finances allow.

I have read Ford 's TSB regarding this issue , but it's ******** . So if anyone reading this has a link to a solution , I would be very grateful if you could post it.

NEW HEADACHE AGAIN.

Now, when I install the seats as I described earlier, I read to my great surprise that row 2 has rust problems in fasteners. Since there has never been mounted seats in the car, so I wonder if anyone here on the forum can give me some advice on what to do to prevent these rust problem.

Thanks in advance guys!

With best wishes for a nice weekend.

Paal

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would take the bolts/fasteners out that hold the seat in, grease them up real good, and reinstall. Perhaps a quarterly/semi-annual item?

If they're really stuck, perhaps something like PB Blaster or Deep Creep to start eating away @ the rest to free them up.

PanHandler.