Hellwig 7696 is installed on 2024 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is a perfect replacement for the factory front sway bar. The hardest part is to lift and align the bar with six bolt stems. It is very heavy. I had to use several travel trailer stabilizer jack pads to lift one end of the bar, and then I held the other end myself to bolt it on.

Bracket bushing nuts: 15mm (46lbs.ft)
End link nuts: 18mm (59lbs.ft)
Stock transmission fiber cover nuts: 8mm (79lbs.INCH)

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How is ride quality with the upgrade?

I do feel it provides more stability when I make turns on local roads. Someone said it gives a day/night difference, which I do not feel that much yet. I will test it on highway tomorrow. Honestly, I think the factory front bar is good enough for most owners. But the factory rear bar definitely needs to be replaced with Hellwig 7688. I do feel a lot difference with the rear bar replacement.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree the rear bar way far more noticeable because the rear is this vehicles downfall with its outdated IRS geometry. The rear bar stops the side to side head bobbing action.
The front bar makes it lay on the road and handle much better at speed and in corners.
If these sway bars didn't exist, I'd have sold my expedition the first few months I bought it new. Its pathetic how they come from the factory.

OP
OP
H

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: I drove the vehicle on highway today. The front bar gives a firmer feeling when I switch lanes. At a local roundabout, I could pass it faster and I felt same level of control as I drove my 2014 RAM 1500 (Front: Double Wishbone Suspension; Rear: Live Axle with Tuftruck heave duty springs). Overall, I am satisfied with it. By the way, I do not know what theory is behind it or if I am wrong, but I do feel my steering wheel is a little firmer on either highway or local roads.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree the rear bar way far more noticeable because the rear is this vehicles downfall with its outdated IRS geometry. The rear bar stops the side to side head bobbing action.
The front bar makes it lay on the road and handle much better at speed and in corners.
If these sway bars didn't exist, I'd have sold my expedition the first few months I bought it new. Its pathetic how they come from the factory.

You remind me before the upgrades. Even a gust wind on highway made the vehicle sway, especially at the rear. And I was even not towing anything. My first towing experience was horrible because I didn't have those hellwig bars and rear Sumosprings support at that time. Whenever a semi truck passed me, it made me feel the 4200lbs travel trailer would collide with it (I-75 Tampa area).

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been looking at these Helwig bars for my '23. But I'm holding off until the '25 comes out. If it's a hybrid, I'm trading and the '25 will get the new bars. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind a little more roll stiffness. Don't get me wrong, my '23 feels damn good. But better is better

OP
OP
H

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been looking at these Helwig bars for my '23. But I'm holding off until the '25 comes out. If it's a hybrid, I'm trading and the '25 will get the new bars. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind a little more roll stiffness. Don't get me wrong, my '23 feels damn good. But better is better

If the resigned model adapts to hybrid, I doubt the front bar could still fit. You would be the first to test it. lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
I replaced the rear only with the Helwig unit on my 2017 EL. It made a night and day difference. The front would also probably improve the handling but I detected that the rear by far needed the most help.

Adam J

Reaction score
different gen Expy, but i did Hellwig rear, then also front on my 2016 SSV - rear did more than the front, but they both help a lot - much flatter and more controlled handling. I found the front factory anti sway bar to be VERY substantial, not leaving a ton of room for improvements other than materials quality. The factory rear bar was thin and of a by far weaker materials than the Hellwig.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett