Help! 5.4L Under the hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I need some assistance from anyone who may have the same engine or knows about mine (5.4L V8 Engine). So I bough my truck extremely cheap and now I'm starting to see why. I'm positive SEVERAL parts on the motor are missing, if not re-positioned.

The images shown can clearly show the air intake tubing completely replaced with a SCREW, as well as the tube above... i honestly don't know what the tubing used to OR is supposed to do, but the truck runs ok, not perfect (it jumps, but i can see why).
attachment.php

There is also a disconnected plug that I'm not quite sure where it may connect to.
attachment.php

and other air tubing, can someone revise what my not working engine is missing from/compared to yours?
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20140527_200648.jpg
    20140527_200648.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:

04SVT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If memory serves my correct the brake booster vac line should be tied into the dog house (white) and the other is to the evap system (red)....at least on lightning and HDs

retu8u7a.jpg

04SVT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't see the plug you're talking about.

greasemonger

Reaction score
Here's what mine looks like if it helps. Looks like somebody wanted to bypass smog the cheap way20140528_082604.jpg20140528_083553.jpg

After looking again everything seems a little different on yours. I see the egr, but no egr solenoid or dpfe sensor. That hose running from the valve cover through the cannister to your air intake before the throttle body is the lower of the two on mine without the cannister. The cannister on mine is on the upper hose and is routed to the back of the intake on mine. Maybe they rerouted things between 98 and 99. Forgive me I'm still learning mine too and we may both have butchered hoses lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Ok guys thanks. I've still got some thing to sort out. i might just take the top section off for a better view. I'll certainly need a little more help. Ill post images tomorrow for better images

srs7324

Reaction score
I agree with greasemonger it appears the previous owner capped off all the smog hoses and rerouted the PVC and brake booster hoses to the much larger intake hoses thinking he was enhancing performance.

I have the JAN 99 EXP, and it is all factory, but you appear to have a different intake setup than what I have, because my intake and hose routing matches greasemonger's photo exactly.

Attachments

• DSC00053.jpg
    DSC00053.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 197
OP
OP
F
Reaction score
I agree with greasemonger it appears the previous owner capped off all the smog hoses and rerouted the PVC and brake booster hoses to the much larger intake hoses thinking he was enhancing performance.

I have the JAN 99 EXP, and it is all factory, but you appear to have a different intake setup than what I have, because my intake and hose routing matches greasemonger's photo exactly.
I now understand what has been done to my XLT, It appears the previous owner did do what you and greasemonger believe has been done. although he completely messed up the connections once it was time to set them back. I now have my XLT running great, yet it still has the check engine light after reseting the computer. (I WILL POST IMAGES TOMORROW 05/30/14)