help ID parts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi all, trying to eek out any .0001 mpg possible, are these breather/vacuum pieces correctly attached or is something missing?

Pic 1: MPG dropped to like 6 and was running crappy when I saw an intake opening with no cap/hose so I popped on a rubber cap. Is that the right piece to have there, or is there a hose? Ran fine after the cap

Pic 2: not sure what the round piece is called but it has a small opening. Any attachment missing?

Thanks!20200124_080005.jpg 20200124_075955.jpg

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You probably need to find a 2005 that runs right and look where the hoses should go. Your bottom picture is the hot water control valve for your HVAC system. Somebody plugged the vacuum control line into the pivot hinge pin on the backside of the valve. It goes on that tit that you see is open. Your top photo looks like the Evap supply vacuum hose is just laying there? It should attach to a fitting right in that area on the intake manifold. Is that capped off? Or do you hear a huge vacuum leak there ? But 6 MPG ? I wouldn't even be driving it because something is seriously wrong.

OP
OP
windyshakydrivr
Reaction score
You probably need to find a 2005 that runs right and look where the hoses should go. Your bottom picture is the hot water control valve for your HVAC system. Somebody plugged the vacuum control line into the pivot hinge pin on the backside of the valve. It goes on that tit that you see is open. Your top photo looks like the Evap supply vacuum hose is just laying there? It should attach to a fitting right in that area on the intake manifold. Is that capped off? Or do you hear a huge vacuum leak there ? But 6 MPG ? I wouldn't even be driving it because something is seriously wrong.

Yeah, one day when it dropped to 6 mpg and ran crappy is when I took a look and saw the opening on the right side of the intake. Bingo- I fished around behind it and found that hose behind the intake and plugged it in. Thx for that tip. No vacuum leak sounds.

On the bottom pic, am I understanding you correctly, should look like this? (w the line plugged in front?) That would leave an open nipple on the top/rear of it. FWIW the heat and temp run normal. I haven't seen any of this gen truck driving around my area but hope to come across one soon to get a look.

20200126_154244.jpg

20200126_154331.jpg

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes that is correct now. Nothing connects to that hinge pin on the back of the valve. Probably need to clean the throttle body and butterfly. If all the tubes are connected where they belong now unplug the battery's negative cable for a few minutes then reconnect it and drive around for a little while and let the PCM computer relearn again. Are you not getting any check engine light or DTC codes ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
windyshakydrivr
Reaction score
Thx fellas. I pulled and cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor. I have a P0430 code from a while back so probably try the O2 sensors.