Help Identify! Broken Engine Part

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoos95

Reaction score
2007 EL with 370k miles. Took it in for the following reasons: transmission/engine (not sure which) shuttering in the 30-40mph range. There was also an occasional cylinder 1 misfire - compression fine and plug/coil pack no issue. Somewhat rough-ish idle, nothing extreme.

Anyway, the mechanic pulled out this part which was loose in the engine.

Does anyone know what it is or what it may have come off from? The mechanic and I are mystified how the engine can run (relatively well).

Thanks in advance!

4B86E8DD-A075-4645-BBBF-69132271C0F9.jpeg CAC8B68E-8D12-41D2-9FA0-CF7AD5C8765A.jpeg

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
That’s it! Thanks so much.

Any idea what issues can occur with one of them off?

rameredit

Reaction score
That is a pretty big issue. The roller follower is actuated (pivoted up/down) by the camshaft. They are somewhat notorious, in these engines, for seizing up and failing. The one in your pic no doubt had the roller bearing seize and grinded the roller on the cam. You need to pull the covers and have all followers replaced ALONG WITH the trashed cam. There is some serious debris in there as well.

I would do a complete timing job and new oil pump while in there. Check the offending valve/follower for a bent valve. You need to locate the rest of that follower. It is probably in the oil pump pickup, laying loose in the head or in the pan.

The your 5.4 has 3 roller followers/cylinder. In my research/experience, the cylinders on the back passenger side usually get trashed first because of insufficient oil pressure/flow.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But would it even run if it was missing that? Maybe it's from a previous mechanic that wasn't real particular about cleaning up the job....

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
But would it even run if it was missing that? Maybe it's from a previous mechanic that wasn't real particular about cleaning up the job....
That’s my question - it runs great for the age/mileage, but never had work done on the cam, etc.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have any friends that like to play practical jokes??

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Loose in the engine bay? That's not really possible. Unless your mechanic did a lot of work diagnosing shuddering and a misfire by digging into the head someone is messing with you, that or you're about to be surprised by a $1k diagnostics bill.

Plati

Reaction score
Yeah. Lotta questions here.
This is why diagnosing over a Forum is ... "sketchy" at best.

Where was it found, exactly?

I found an old rusted PCV valve once that someone had dropped in the engine bay.
Meant nothing.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably left over from a previous repair job on your engine, you would know it if that was part of your engine. That's pretty serious engine damage. With that many miles on it anything is possible......lol