Help me blackout my 14 expy limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1goodarrow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all,

Please help me blackout my black 14 expedition Limited .

I want to

1) XLT black roof rack rail to replace the chrome one that is on my Limited.

2) Replace chrome door handles with black ones.

3) Black Grille in place of the chrome one.

4) Matte Black Rims 18" rims , off road style

5) Remove the Chrome piece on the back hatch. Can I just take it off or do I have to put something over it after I remove it.

6) Can I put a 1-3" lift kit in this without voiding the warranty? If they can lift F150s why not an expedition.

Any advice would be appreciated . If I put this post in the wrong spot, please let me know.

Thanks

jjbusa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
plasti dip can do all that without removing parts.

Reaction score
Hi all,

Please help me blackout my black 14 expedition Limited .

I want to

1) XLT black roof rack rail to replace the chrome one that is on my Limited.

2) Replace chrome door handles with black ones.

3) Black Grille in place of the chrome one.

4) Matte Black Rims 18" rims , off road style

5) Remove the Chrome piece on the back hatch. Can I just take it off or do I have to put something over it after I remove it.

6) Can I put a 1-3" lift kit in this without voiding the warranty? If they can lift F150s why not an expedition.

Any advice would be appreciated . If I put this post in the wrong spot, please let me know.

Thanks

I had mine lifted at my dealership. Put a 3" Ready Lift levelling kit up front (same parts as F150), and they put 2.5" Ready Lift rear strut spacers in back, then did a wheel alignment and put on 305/55R20 BFG All Terrain tires. Out the door for about 3 grand, no affect on warranty because the dealership did the work.

OP
OP
1goodarrow

1goodarrow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have decided on a 3/2.5 ready lift.

The dealer will charge
-about 400.00 to replace chrome door handles with black.
- 270 for a paint to match grille, plus paint.
- 400 to swap chrome roof rails with black.

I need to learn more about plasti dip.

Can anyone direct me to a site that has cheap OEM parts? The best price I have seen on an oem paint to match grill is 169.00

OP
OP
1goodarrow

1goodarrow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance, is there a trading area on this site? I would trade my chrome parts for black.

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should definitely check out plasti dip. You could black out everything you listed for well under 100 bucks, including all cleaning and masking materials. It's easy to do, and completely reversible. Check out YouTube.

OP
OP
1goodarrow

1goodarrow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. It appears as though there is a chrome snap on piece over the door handles. Does anyone know anything about that? Can I pop them off? Is there a place where I can get a parts diagram?

OP
OP
1goodarrow

1goodarrow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I am going to do paint to match on the rear chrome , door handles, and my badges. Can someone tell me the best way to prep these surfaces?

OP
OP
1goodarrow

1goodarrow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For my badges and expedition limited logo, I removed them, scuffed them with 3m red pad, washed with Dawn ,Applied 2 coats of duplicolor self etching primer , did not sand, hit it with what ended up being 6-7 coats of sem color match base (I had runs that I had to sand and start over a few times). Finished with duplicolor clear. I did all of this in my upstairs bathroom shower due to the cold weather in MI. I may redo the front badge and the expedition limited badge once it gets warmer and I can work in my garage.