Help w/ COPS #8 Cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1stGeExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a used 2000 Expedition XLT 5.4 and It's got some issues that I'm working on getting fixed and I need some advice. So, I'm working on changing out the plugs while making sure the COPS and boots are still looking good. I did 1-4 without any issues and then got 5-7 done without any major issues too.

So, I get to #8 and I instantly noticed something doesn't look right here. The COP is friggin zip tied to the #8 fuel injector and the bolt isn't sitting flush. I'm like wtf is going on here? I cut the zip tie and proceeded to remove the bolt, COP, and plug just fine.

The problem is I guess the PO jacked up the threads on the intake side where the bolt threads in. The brass sleeve is there and intact but it's stripped out. I need to know if the sleeve is removable or if I can tap it before I decide on attempting to repair this. I really don't wanna jack it all up worse than it is. Being that it's on the #8 it's a ***** to get to as it is so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Oh and the plugs were rusty and the gaps were all over .80 so they hadn't been done in ages.

This is for the PO :flipthebird: who told me the COPS and plugs were all recently changed. Yeah right man!

Last edited:

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the prev owner may have had someone else do the work. I don't know much about the cop v8s yet but there is a video I can find about re threading holes. it couldn't hurt to try. also, I would just bite the bullet and replace the intake gaskets too. you will want that out of your way while you work and it gives you so much more space to use the tool to make the new threads for the cop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-VD1yx61bA&list=UU_q-UNDJeEBSHqKzAP_8x_A there is the video. it also covers removing a broken bolt but getting new threads in there is also covered.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to remove the entire intake manifold to fix a stripped insert. It is alot easier to get a straight hole. I had to bore out the entire insert due to the fact it let loose from the plastic. Not a hard job, just time consuming.

OP
OP
1stGeExpedition

1stGeExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I decided to just leave it for now since it seems secure enough with a zip tie & a different bolt in there. I guess if it causes me a problem later on I'll pull the whole intake manifold out and change the gasket & the injectors too. For now it's okay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
1stGeExpedition

1stGeExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Installed new COPS & got new bolts...

Ford Part# N606500-S100

*** This is for the 5.4 only the 4.6 are different and discontinued ***

pabema8a.jpg

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Installed new COPS & got new bolts...

Ford Part# N606500-S100

*** This is for the 5.4 only the 4.6 are different and discontinued ***

pabema8a.jpg

Leave it to Ford to sell COP bolts six to a package.

hahah, I was just thinking tht very thing

Just like package of hotdogs and a packae of buns. 12 'dogs and 8 buns. like wtf?:boxed:

OP
OP
1stGeExpedition

1stGeExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You wanna know the kicker? Over $30 a bag. Yep, that's what I said! Luckily the guy behind the counter gave me a deal. Got them for just under $20 but still ridiculous.

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went to Lowes and got a bolt for my 5.4 that was missing, length, size and threads the same as original, 22 cents each. Holding the COPS on just fine.

OP
OP
1stGeExpedition

1stGeExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought about doing that but I wanted to make sure I didn't damage the threads so I decided to go to the dealer.