Help ... What is this Cable???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

RogerD

Reaction score
How are you going to insulate the windows? they are definitely a source of heat gain/loss.

Yea, all the windows are definitely problematic.

I will make custom tight-fitting covers that have insulation in them.

Plati

Reaction score
I've camped in my Expy for up to 9 days in a row where it gets below freezing at night. I have "clothes, hat, gloves" I wear in my sleeping bag and a blanket over the bag if I need that. Toasty warm. Until I have to get up and go outside for relief. Here is a nice addition I use on the side of the Expy for when its raining or protection from sun. I've never figured any safe way to heat the inside of the Expy so I would have no use for insulation. I used to have a cargo van that I spray foamed the floor, walls, ceiling ... and it was NICE to have that. We would get a few people in there (70's) and body heat was enough to keep it warm inside. Of course you may be trying to keep heat out not in?
IMG_0630.JPG
test

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RogerD

Reaction score
I've camped in my Expy for up to 9 days in a row where it gets below freezing at night. I have "clothes, hat, gloves" I wear in my sleeping bag and a blanket over the bag if I need that. Toasty warm. Until I have to get up and go outside for relief. Here is a nice addition I use on the side of the Expy for when its raining or protection from sun. I've never figured any safe way to heat the inside of the Expy so I would have no use for insulation. I used to have a cargo van that I spray foamed the floor, walls, ceiling ... and it was NICE to have that. We would get a few people in there (70's) and body heat was enough to keep it warm inside. Of course you may be trying to keep heat out not in?
View attachment 41407
test

Everything I'm doing is to keep the heat out and cold in when running an AC. I have a 5K BTU AC that uses up to 410 watts when the compressor is running. The more efficient the insulation is will cause the AC compressor to run less and use less power. Which is my main objective.

For heat, I have a 2K diesel heater and Olympian Wave 3 propane heater as a backup.

Plati

Reaction score
Everything I'm doing is to keep the heat out and cold in when running an AC. I have a 5K BTU AC that uses up to 410 watts when the compressor is running. The more efficient the insulation is will cause the AC compressor to run less and use less power. Which is my main objective.

For heat, I have a 2K diesel heater and Olympian Wave 3 propane heater as a backup.
You use (or plan to use) a diesel or propane heater inside a closed Expedition.
I would figure that would be a death trap, but what do I know?
Oxygen good .... Carbon Monoxide bad, unless you want to take a long nap.

OP
OP
R

RogerD

Reaction score
You use (or plan to use) a diesel or propane heater inside a closed Expedition.
I would figure that would be a death trap, but what do I know?
Oxygen good .... Carbon Monoxide bad, unless you want to take a long nap.

Nope.

Diesel heater exhaust goes to the outside and is perfectly fine if installed correctly. Which is simple to do.

Propane heaters don't produce carbon monoxide. Propane appliances could if something was wrong with it and it didn't burn correctly. However, pretty sure it's rare unless the way it works is tampered with. They do use up oxygen, so you want to have a window cracked the proper amount.

Propane heater is just a backup if I was to have a problem with the diesel heater. I have an carbon monoxide alarm just to be safe.

I've been using both in my van for over 2 years and never had a problem. I recently sold the van and why I'm building out the expedition.