Hesitation and Shuddering, Not Caused By Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jakefinn

Reaction score
A few months ago, my 2006 Eddie Bauer Expedition began hesitating and shuddering at around 45-50mph. It only occurs while accelerating. The hesitation was minor and posed no problem, so I decided to shrug it off for a while until I could get new plugs. The hesitation gradually got worse, as did the shuddering. The engine light blinks indicating a misfire. Eventually the shuddering got extremely violent, and it would occasionally cause the engine to stall. I decided I had no choice but to take her in.

She read as having a misfire in cylinder 8. After getting new spark plugs and coils, the issue still persisted. The misfiring cylinder changed to #4. Since then I've replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel injectors, and a new fuel pump drive module. Now there's a misfire in cylinder 2, and after running the engine for a while, I removed the new plug and it was spotless. Looked the same as when I took it out of the box. The issue continues to gradually get worse. The issue worsens as the truck gets warmer. If I put my foot to the floor, the RPMs will climb to about 4,000 and linger there as the truck slowly gains speed. Then after a short time the RPMs will drop suddenly, and the check engine light blinks.

No one I talk to seems to be able to diagnose the problem. I've heard that it could be a torque converter issue, transmission issue (which I doubt because the car will shift normally if I don't floor it), or as my regular mechanic mentioned, the engine could be completely shot. Any suggestions?

04SVT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it jumping cylinders I would venture to say it's an electrical issue. What is the milage? What are your maintenance routines? What type of driving are you doing? You checked cylinder 2 and it didn't appear to have been used meaning it hadn't seen fuel? What about the other cylinders with misfires? Did the plugs look the same?

04SVT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also have you checked the FPDM? Do you know if it has ever been replaced?

OP
OP
J

jakefinn

Reaction score
She's got about 150,000, just from everyday driving. She's made a lot of trips back and forth between Florida and New York, and the FPDM was one of the first things I replaced when the new spark plugs and coils didn't work. The other plugs did look like they were used and seemed to be working properly.

04SVT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the plug looked new then you have 1 of 2 problems. You have an electrical issues controlling the injectors or your injector itself. That's assuming it didn't get fuel to the cylinder. If I did and it isn't burning the fuel then have an issue with the ignition system. I'm not a mechanic by any means just my observations