Hesitation at full throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x43V

Reaction score
My 2005 Expy is plagued with issues, that I've about sorted out. The only issue I can't figure out the 5.4s hesitation at around 4500 rpm, at full throttle in any gear. I've SeaFoamed the truck twice, new plugs and coils, etc. What do you seasoned Expy owners think the issue is?

Sent while dropping a deuce!

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will it go past 4500 rpm's? My old man has an 04, but I have never tried full throttle (because it ain't mine). I do not know the 2nd gens very well, but there may be some governor the computer has preset from the factory. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will help you out.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't had stock shift points in a long time, but IIRC, it was around 4500-4700 RPM at full throttle. By hesitation, do you mean that it hesitates before going into the next gear? How long does it hesitate?

OP
OP

4x43V

Reaction score
The RPM slows down at 4500 and then speeds back up to 5000, where the transmission shifts.

Tigster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine would break up in the higher rpms until I replaced the spark plugs. Then after the new plugs were in we found the plug to the pcm was not plugged in as tight as it should be.

OP
OP

4x43V

Reaction score
Mine would break up in the higher rpms until I replaced the spark plugs. Then after the new plugs were in we found the plug to the pcm was not plugged in as tight as it should be.

Where does the PCM connect to the plugs?

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2 different things

I replaced the spark plugs. Then after the new plugs were in we found the plug to the pcm was not plugged in

Not directly plugged in togther.

OP
OP

4x43V

Reaction score
I've changed the spark plugs. I'd like to know where the plugs go into the PCM, picture please. Why does it only hesitate at 4500 for a second then speed back up to shift at five?