Hi New Owner with Questions (brakes too)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCBIII

Reaction score
TLDR --I checked for a sticky'd post or something that listed "common issues" but I wasnt able to find it. Does something like that exist for 3rd gen? Also have dragging front brakes, is that common?

so Hey!

I just picked up a 2017 EL King Ranch with 115k on the clock. My SO was involved in a low speed head on collision on Christmas Vacation and this was the nicest Large sub 30k vehicle I could find in the area to replace my suburban. So far I like it a lot, but I have noticed a couple issues.

First, after we drove it back cross country I pulled into the power wash station. the brakes steamed when the water hit. There was no reason for them to be that hot. I'm sure they are dragging on both sides? Is this typical? I plan on taking them apart and greasing all the brake parts but not sure if there is something else to check for. (Air in the lines or hoses collapsing?)

Also when i turn the rear glass washer on, the fluid came inside the truck. Simple hose connection correct? Last thing Is that the rear blower is INOP. (I'll search all these issues after I get some time later in the week but I'll take any input now if you've got it)

Other than those 3 things, I dont have any major issues. Some annoying windnoise on the driver side, that is most likely from the smoke guards but really so far, I am impressed. Before this my newest vehicle in my fleet was an 06 F350 so this is a nice upgrade for us.

I'm looking for "common things" or annoyances I need to address out of the gate. I read something about rust on the roof? Anyways thanks for reading.

Axle Folly

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I was just coming to look for help with what's making a grinding/rubbing noise noticeable at low speed... like a dragging brake! So, maybe that is a thing.

I don't know if the brake issue is related to the recall or not, but the symptom just started for us and we haven't quite turned 80k. The brakes are Safety Recall Notice 22S11/NHSTA Recall 22V-150 (we have the tow package) and are supposed to be done ASAP (dealer has the suv part on order for us, they only stocked the part for the trucks).

We get wind noise, and looking in the mirrors it doesn't look like the doors don't all close/seal the same. We even had the piece of trim next to the windshield blow off while on the freeway (my wife grabbed it before it completely flew away).

I haven't heard about roof rust, and we store ours with a sunroof outside, though not under trees.

Your intuition may be right about the rear washer hose. That tube often comes off when changing the bulbs in the high stop light; very easy to get to. Maybe use a zip tie for a hose clamp to prevent it from sliding off.

My kids always complain that the rear floor blower is always sending scorching hot air, so maybe the previous owners disabled that on purpose! Speaking of, that's another recall for which a fix didn't exist Q4 when we received the notice, but is expected to be available sometime this quarter. See Safety Recall Notice 22S56/NHTSA Recall 22V-648 warning that the climate control front blower may overheat and lead to an interior fire while the vehicle is operating.

My biggest gripe is Ford's drive-by-wire system, where the engine only obeys your accelerator pedal command when it wants to. This most often occurs when I'm at an intersection and trying to jump into or ahead of traffic... sometimes there's a delay before the throttle response. We've had a couple close calls and if I drove it more I'd buy the $500 aftermarket tune to fix it. My wife doesn't complain about it, so maybe she has a driving style that doesn't conflict with the computer.

2010ELExpy4x4

Reaction score
Some break pads (depends on manufacture I think.) have an Inboard and outboard pad. They look almost identical, can't remember which, but one set has raised locating pins (Is possible newer versions of pads don't have this).

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
If there's a brake recall my '17 hasn't been informed. Nor is it exhibiting any of the symptoms. No sign of dragging brakes here.

There's some sort of heater motor recall but no parts seem to be available yet.

With the competing controls for the rear HVAC it could be just fine but some setting is Off. I avoid the SYNC panel for this other than make sure the rear HVAC is handed off to the rear controls. Heat out of the ceiling vents is possible and annoying. I normally control the rear HVAC by Braile from the drivers seat.

-- Chuck

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Most obviously, check if your brakes get too hot with normal driving. If they do, something's amiss. The brake hoses in some of these cars go bad and restrict the brakes' release. If your pads drag after an application and the calipers check out, I'd replace the front hoses.

OP
OP
J

JCBIII

Reaction score
it appears that we solved the issue with a brake cleanup and re-grease. I want to change the hoses but I'll do it in the spring. I took a long drive down the interstate and stopped with my e-brake (so I didnt use the front brakes at all) and I checked them with my FLIR and there was no heat in them. So good for now I suppose.