hidden button in console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wiseguy54

Reaction score
I had the cupholder/shifter section lifted up to run some charger wires, and noticed this button towards the back driver's side.

From the console side, you could press it towards the front and it will spring back as if it is a reset switch. However there is no access to this without pulling up the cupholder piece.

The wires are at the end of a Y with the other leg running up to the Park Sensor / Park Assist buttons.

I searched around but couldn't find any part numbers or online references. Any ideas?

1715745424682.png1715745564748.png

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's not a switch, it's the near field sensor for the key. so if your key loses battery or gets wet, you can still start the vehicle by putting the key close

OP
OP
W

wiseguy54

Reaction score
Pic is from the passenger seat, so the cup holders are on the near side. The dead key would go in the front cup holder, which is in the foreground of the first pic.

I took a closer look today and noticed there's a slot under the lid where something could be poked through to press this. I was thinking maybe a shift lock release to get in neutral without starting the car? But part of my searching had turned up this thread which doesn't reference this button at all.

1715785688253.png1715786240574.png

Last edited:

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When i took the console off to run some wires, my research turned up that it is, as you surmised, the shift lock switch - 'brake-shift interlock'. This is on page 200 of my manual (2019).