High beams need a little support...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do any of you here have extra lighting installed? Both of my cars past had 9006 and 9005 bulbs in two housings per lens. the high beams were more than enough and 10x better than the single 9007 high/low bulb currently installed. they shined a tighter beam alongside the controlled low beam where the 9007 just makes a slightly brighter and higher aimed beam of light that has almost the same pattern as the low beam. Now, I am not complaining about my current headlights, they do wonderfully for the price I payed.

I want to go HID but can't afford the projectors/bulbs/ballasts at the moment. I would rather just add a set of lights that could be used alongside my high beams at night to light up the road as well as the housings in previous cars did.

why do I want this? heaver truck on the same deer ridden highway I drive every morning means I need to see farther ahead to stop safely.

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have some Philips crystal vision ultras and I'm pretty happy with them. I have the 9007 in the headlight and the 9006 in the bumper. They also make an xtreme vision that is supposed to be brighter. The white light definitely projects farther without blinding oncoming traffic.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I am running the sylvania xtravision 9007 which is their middle of the road bulb, balance of light and longevity. but in the past the regular bulbs in the 9005/9006 were still brighter. my problem is the actual housing (OEM or aftermarket) that uses the 9007 can't produce a proper high beam in my opinion. Proper for me is one dedicated bulb for the normal cut off style pattern and another bulb and reflector for the "flood" style pattern. the 2nd gen expy has this style, running a 9006 low and a 9005 high beam,

what I want is an additional pair of lights that put out the same beam pattern as the 9005 high beams in the other housings I am used to.

69Hcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get an hid kit off ebay. I had 9007's in my SHO. It had a tinted windshield from the PO. Made a world of difference. The dual beam kits actually move the bulb in the housing. I think I paid around 30 bucks for the kit.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you need some of these projector headlight assemblies with some of these bulbs.

I am not sure if you linked wrong or what but I already have the housings you listed (reflector style) and running comparable bulbs. At this point I believe I am getting the best light that these housings can offer.

Get an hid kit off ebay. I had 9007's in my SHO. It had a tinted windshield from the PO. Made a world of difference. The dual beam kits actually move the bulb in the housing. I think I paid around 30 bucks for the kit.

When I decide to go to HID I will have them in projector housings. I would rather it be ran that way as the reflector housings I have aren't designed for the different bulb. something like this so I don't have to go back later and do it again when I do get projectors.

I have my eyes open for a set of auxiliary lights to run with my high beams to get the light I want while on road (law here i believe is no more than 60w or 55w for on road use but you have to disable them with oncoming traffic **duh** )

I had requested info on another set of housings from a user and they responded with this I don't know about these as there are no reviews or info on bulb type or even any feedback about the light output.

thank you all for the help, I apologize for being difficult.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
since u have to wait the best would be to put the HIDs in...that is the prob solver for your situation while u wait to get enough money for projectors...i saw headlights on carid.com for less than $200 that are projectors...just find the correct HID bulb for fitment