high idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sk8ordie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what am i supposed to idle at? it idles in Park or Neutral @ about 900rpm. in gear around 500 to 600 rpm. i tried searching but no answer to my specific question cuz it doesn't idle rough or stall out. nice and smooth but it just seems high to me. thanx

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it idle at 900 rpm's in neutral once the engine is warm? Cold engines idle faster in order to reach running temp a little quicker. Everything there sounds normal to me honestly. I would be worried if it was idling at 1200 or above. And as far as the idle in gear, that is totally normal. Any lower than that and its going to stall.

Last edited:

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I first start mine in the @ ~ 1000-1100 (in park).

Then it will drop down to about 800 after a few seconds/minutes (depending on outside temp), and will finally drop down to around 600 when warm.

OP
OP
sk8ordie

sk8ordie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when its warm it idles around 900. i know when it starts cold it will be up there but dont think it should be when its warm.

buildingdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine jumps in drive and warm... actually always when its warm... goes between 6 and 800. All new vac lines and tcv. No codes either... any ideas. Pcv is also new with vac lines

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine jumps in drive and warm... actually always when its warm... goes between 6 and 800. All new vac lines and tcv. No codes either... any ideas. Pcv is also new with vac lines

Just a blind guess and a complete shot in the dark, perhaps the IAC???

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats normal...i idle at 500 due to programmer settings

buildingdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a blind guess and a complete shot in the dark, perhaps the IAC???

I went through 2 with the same thing... oh yeah, forgot to add that I get an awesome (sarcasm) fog horn kinda sound between the filter and TB. I will start this in a new thread.