Hissing when brake is released

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03expyMG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I release my brake pedal from a full stop I hear a hissing sound under the dash. It sounds like air is leaking from somewhere. The weird thing is that if I tap the brake it goes away!! It only makes that noise when the brake is released from a full stop and then to stop the noise I have to tap it. What the heck is this?? Anyone have this problem before??

OP
OP
03expyMG

03expyMG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's not doing it today. Very strange. If anyone can offer any input it would be great.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could be something to do with the brake booster under the hood. Can you only hear it from the inside of the vehicle?

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had that happen on my old Bronco. The diaphragm inside the booster has a hole in it.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

OP
OP
03expyMG

03expyMG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gonna just replace the booster. I'm pretty sure that's what it is also. Thanks for the input. Will report back once it's done. How long can I ride with this thing like this? Can I wait a few days??

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Snake under the dash??

:buttkick:

Yeah... I would go with booster leaking issue.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha, yea. It's been months (years?) since mine's been like that. I play my music pretty loud so I didn't actually notice it until a few months ago.

All I can tell it does is require a longer pedal travel before actual braking? Unless I also have air in my lines, haha.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FukNshT