how can i lock the vehicle with engine running and walk away with key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I determined late yesterday that Rear HVAC comes on with Remote Start. At least when set in the left panel menu to "last setting."

My key needs to be in the ignition to drive the truck and the "key in the pocket/purse" type appears to function differently.

-- Chuck

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So for clarity, there IS NO Question. The restart cycle if the maximum SINGLE run is set to 15 is 15+15+5=35. I know this beyond ZERO shadow of a doubt. I have seen it in numbers, not guessing on the Remote Access App, regardless of if it is done via App or remote.

Also, when set to Auto in the climate control settings under Remote Start, the Rear AC DOES Not come on. Makes sense that it would when set to Last Setting, but that is annoying.

I have been looking for the FORSCAN setting combo to have it work in Auto, but so far no luck. Might be another thing our modules cannot do.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
i have to go back and retry the extended run time.
i must be holding my mouth wrong, but either way the rear a/c stays off, mine can be selected from the MFT screen or the rear console controls.
then funny thing, wife jumps out to go into store, i slowly drive to park, get NO KEY detected, look down and my key is right where i left it...so her key in her purse must be the admin...:dogpile:

The key that unlocks the vehicle, as long as it stays in the vehicle until start becomes the active key. Happens with the Wife and I all the time.

I make sure if I am driving to press the unlock button when I am getting in. Does 2 things, makes it primary, and sets my seat to my settings.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are two different types of Remote Start packages. Limited and higher trims have push-button start with transponder keys that don't have a physical ignition key. These can stay in your pocket, purse, etc. XLT models with Remote start still have an integrated ignition key/fob like older models. For those vehicles, you have to put the ignition key into the cylinder and turn it to "RUN" in order to drive the vehicle.

I'd never considered before what might happen if two people, each with a transponder key, were to get into the vehicle at the same time. This would explain how "no key detected" could occur when the person with the "active key" exits the vehicle while it's still running -- even though there's another key still present.

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
No fob on my 2017 XLT with seemingly all the options including remote start. All the buttons are part of the key.

Interesting the VIN on my vehicle caused both my insurance company and Virginia DMV to ask if it was a King Ranch or XLT. I figured it'd be less to insure an XLT.

-- Chuck

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, the "fob" is part of the key. When I was shopping for a '17 I saw a lot of listings that said "XLT/King Ranch" on the CarFax report and some that were listed for sale at a Ford dealer as "King Ranch" when they were actually XLT models. Weird!

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No fob on my 2017 XLT with seemingly all the options including remote start. All the buttons are part of the key.

Interesting the VIN on my vehicle caused both my insurance company and Virginia DMV to ask if it was a King Ranch or XLT. I figured it'd be less to insure an XLT.

-- Chuck
that is weird...there is no way to confuse an xlt with a king ranch...insurance company was being lazy. as in lots of stuff you can get to be comparable to a king ranch, except the SEATs and center console and neat little door badges :banana-mario:

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
lane bryant HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE

here in texas we are known to like our King Ranch in south texas, but everywhere else its referred to as western chic??????
the ranch leather shop makes some very impressive leather goods, to fit almost everything a good texan needs to hunt, play attorney and ride a horse, not to mention things their ladies will like
the seats used to be a much better and thicker saddle leather, but now with the climate seats we get thinner leather and not so much saddle feeling as before , but still smells like a saddle after a hot day closed up ..that could be a bad thing depending on diet and what sweated out whislt in the saddle :happy175: