How complete of a coolant flush is needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jslt

Reaction score
So I've got a few drives around town with subsequent hose flush cycles. The car is running well and heater lines are getting nice and hot, but lots of rust flakes and debris coming out of the block drain each time I flush. I've decided that I am going to hook up an inline coolant filter (Wix canister style) before the heater core hoses and just worry about keeping the debris out of my heater cores.

Can anyone tell me (or point me to a diagram) that shows what direction coolant flows through the hoses? My assumption is that the coolant flows up through the block and out the top to the upper radiator hose and the heater core hose at the front side of the engine. The two hoses in my photo with the arrows are the outlet hoses right? My plan is to put the coolant filter on the heater core outlet hose (top left).

Attachments

• IMG_3594.jpeg
    IMG_3594.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 3

jr1under

Reaction score
I have this picture(which might even have come from this forum) in my NeedToKnow folder. It's for either a Gen1 Exp or Gen11 F150.
coolant flow.jpg

OP
OP
J

jslt

Reaction score
I have this picture(which might even have come from this forum) in my NeedToKnow folder. It's for either a Gen1 Exp or Gen11 F150.
Wow, thanks jr1under! I had a completely incorrect understanding about the general flow through the rest of the engine. I think my plan to install the coolant filter on the 1 (inlet to heater core) line will work still though.

OP
OP
J

jslt

Reaction score
I'd like to see the filter install if you have pictures to show.
Just got it done this afternoon! Here are the photos. I need to shorten the outlet line a few inches, but I wasn't sure where the filter manifold would end up. I was actually able to find a hole to bolt it to right where it is, so its nice and solid. I hooked up the front heater core as well and I can say that having heat again is glorious!

However, I have noticed that I don't seem to be getting much (if any) flow to the rear heater lines now. I suspect that the filter is reducing the line pressure too much for the rear.

I am using the OEM hose with the flow restrictor. I'm thinking maybe I should cut out the flow restrictor since I have a filter acting as a flow restrictor now. Thoughts on that idea?

Attachments

• IMG_3598.jpeg
    IMG_3598.jpeg
    346.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3599.jpeg
    IMG_3599.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3600.jpeg
    IMG_3600.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 6

jr1under

Reaction score
I am using the OEM hose with the flow restrictor. I'm thinking maybe I should cut out the flow restrictor since I have a filter acting as a flow restrictor now. Thoughts on that idea?
I understand now how you installed the filter in the hose between the water pump and where it T's off to the heater cores. I also understand Bernoulli's principle but, even though it's the internet, I won't pretend to know what you should do here.

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is this an oil or water filter? I mean I know what its doing, but is it manufactured to filter water or oil?

OP
OP
J

jslt

Reaction score
Is this an oil or water filter? I mean I know what its doing, but is it manufactured to filter water or oil?
It is specifically for coolant, it’s this wix filter: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...er/b2f9e5157c1e/wix-coolant-filter/wix0/24070

I read about it on a Jeep forum. It seems like a common modification they do.

I pulled the filter off today to check it. Already full of crap! I think I’m going need to replace it frequently while the rust flakes are still coming off. I did remove the flow restrictor on the inlet hose and that definitely made more water flow to the rear hose. I’m going to run it for a few weeks doing regular flushes then replace the filter before I put coolant in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett