How to: Clean/Buff your headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blacklow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The following is the procedure I use to get headlights as clear as new.

Tools needed:
Foam Sanding Block
400 Wet-sand Paper
600 Wet-sand Paper
800 Wet-sand Paper
1000 Wet-sand Paper
1500 Wet-sand Paper
2000 Wet-sand Paper
Bucket
Dish Liquid
Sponge
2" Painters tape
PlastX™ Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish

Step 1: Mask off surrounding panels (Bumper, fender, and hood). This is to prevent you from sanding through the paint on the panels.

Step 2: Put all sandpaper in bucket, fill with water and a little Dish liquid (dish liquid is used to allow sandpaper to glide easier. W/O it, it can sometimes become like a suction cup and be very difficult to sand)

Step 3: Soak sponge and then use it to wipe off the headlight lenses to get any loose dirt off.

Step 4: Wrap 400 grit paper over foam sanding block and get busy. I like sanding in 1 direction and then going an opposite 40* for the next grit. Its easier to see where the sand scratches from the previous paper is and you can tell when you get rid of all of them.

Step 5: Continue sanding with 400. After a few minutes, wipe off lens and allow it to dry. You will see areas that are still yellowish and/or somewhat clear. You are going to want to keep wet-sanding until when the lens is dry it is completely white with no color changes.

Step 6: Once it is all completely white, go to the 600 at 40* to what you were previously sanding until 400 grit scratches are removed.

Step 7: Repeat step 6 working your way up, changing sanding direction from grit to grit until you get to 2000. When wet with the 2000, it will be somewhat clear... and most likely already look better than it did when you started depending on how bad your lights were in the 1st place.

Step 8: Now that you are done sanding, dry off the lens and any water off the surrounding paint.

Step 9: Now that it is all dry, its time to break out the buffer and PlastX. Apply some PlastX to the lens and buffer pad. At 1st just tap the trigger so the pad and PlastX gets spread out, if you go all out at the start, it will fling the PlastX all over the place.

Step 10: Continue buffing. Don't stay in 1 place too long and go from headlight to headlight. If you stay in place too long it will heat the plastic, causing it to yellow, and if real bad, it could warp it and possibly even create bubbles (this would take a good amount of heat to create bubbles... not sure if you could do it with a buffer).

Step 11: Buff until entire lense is clear. The light should look brand new providing you never had anything leaking inside of it.

Step 12: Pull off masking tape and give the car a wash to clean off any PlastX that may have flung.

Comparison.jpg
[/IMG]

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, 400 grit? The lowest I go is 1000 grit, then 1500, then 2000 if I have some laying around.

Then I buff with M105 (Meg's rubbing compound) though the 3M rubbing compound works as well. Then I hit it up with some PlasticX to get the shine out.

Other than that, good stuff, especially the sanding at different angles. :)

OP
OP
B

blacklow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, 400 grit? The lowest I go is 1000 grit, then 1500, then 2000 if I have some laying around.

Then I buff with M105 (Meg's rubbing compound) though the 3M rubbing compound works as well. Then I hit it up with some PlasticX to get the shine out.

Other than that, good stuff, especially the sanding at different angles. :)

only need 400 grit if your headlights are really dirty. just good to have just in case.