How to remove side view mirror & features question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Need to replace passenger side mirror on my '03. i looked online but couldn't fine anything specific to Gen 2 Expy. Best guess after looking at it is remove door panel starting with screws along bottom. Once that's off i assume ill see the nuts that hold mirror on the interior side of door. I figure it's straightforward but thought i'd ask before heading to junk yard to hunt for one.

On a related note. My '03 is XLT. Mirrors are heated, with puddle lights but no turn signals. I was wondering if i found a set with the turn signals (EB feature I suppose), will the existing truck harness be prewired for them? In other words, would mirrors with puddle lights and signals be plug and play even though my truck only came with puddle lights?

Thanks

OP
OP
jim midd

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the link! I had some spare time this morning so I went to my local U-Pick yard and used their donor truck for some on the job training.

I'll give a quick rundown of steps in case anyone is searching this thread in the future.

There are a total of 5 screws that hold the door trim on. 2 hex heads at the bottom. One phillips head in the side. And 2 small torx heads under a thin long panel located behind the door pull handle. once you get all these off pop of the trim around door latch handle, and pop up the trim where window switch is. Unplug the switch assembly. Then lift the door panel up. Unplug the mirror harness and pull away the adhesive sound pad to expose the three studs and nuts that hold the mirror on. an 11mm deep socket or 7/16 works fine for these.

Really easy, took 15 minutes or so to remove the mirror and about the same time to take broken one off my truck and put everything back together.

Will also note that the one I found had a round puddle light, on mine the puddle light was more oblong. It's different but the difference is very slight and when i plugged it in everything worked as it should. I didn't see one with the turn signals, so not sure if they would have worked without any mods