How to smooth it out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AaronLG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I drove my dads 2011 avalanche and the thing is like a cadillac compared to my expy. I'm thinking I want a more comfortable ride. Is there much I can do to smooth out my truck? Obviously removing the lift and going back to stock would probably help but what else can I do besides getting a newer truck.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Aaron, the lift is not helping. But, unfortunately, short of going to a completely different suspension setup, good luck. This is how Ford designs their trucks. They are meant to be abused and overloaded. Chevy's will always have a nicer ride than a Ford. But then, Chevy designs their trucks around being a nice ride, not being able to be abused. Me, I will take the abusability any day. Besides, I bought a truck for the truck ride, not a caddy ride.

You can try lowering the tire pressure down about 5 psi. But, this may also lead to unacceptable tire wear. But, that will make for a nicer ride. Just don't drop too low in the pressure.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the avi has a coil front suspension. thats why. my dads front sus on his tundra is the same. it rides so nice. until the bump hits the rear. then its nice and stiff.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with Thermo, there isn't a whole lot to make it ride as nice as a Chevy. I'm fine with the way mine rides, but it doesn't come close to the 2010 silverado I drove this summer, but it was a nightmare when taking the truck off pavement.

mudryder18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run my tires at 25-28psi and even with my lift, it feels like im riding in a caddy

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Remove your shocks and lower tire pressure to 20psi. Remove front and rear sway bar. Should ride pretty smooth then...

Just keep it under 20mph and dont turn or make any sudden movements and you should be fine...lol. Oh and if you are the type that gets sea sick you might want to have some dramamine on hand.

Last edited:

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
The Rancho RS9000 adjustable shocks (along with the MyRide wireless contoler) on my truck allow me to dial in the ride to fit the situation. I can make the truck feel 'floaty' like a 70's cadillac or really firm, all with the push of a button.

OP
OP
AaronLG

AaronLG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remove your shocks and lower tire pressure to 20psi. Remove front and rear sway bar. Should ride pretty smooth then...

Just keep it under 20mph and dont turn or make any sudden movements and you should be fine...lol. Oh and if you are the type that gets sea sick you might want to have some dramamine on hand.

Thats funny. When I first got it, the front sway bar bolts were gone. Crazy how much it rocked through a turn. Got that fixed real quick. Thanks for all the info. I figured it wouldn't be possible but I haven't been offroad in a while so I figured why not make it more road friendly.