Humming...noise from air intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Council2

Reaction score
2003 xlt 4.6
I am getting a random humming coming from the air intake once in awhile. If I accelerate the noise will stop until I go back to an idle, sometimes itdoes not make the noise sometime it does. Have check filter and that does not seem to be the issue. Anyone had similar or know of some ideas to look into?
This is all stock, no fancy stuff, just got the truck a couple of months ago and I'm loving it.

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this problem and it was the IACV. Cleaning it didnt work for me, it was like new when i took it off. Replaced with a new one and problem solved!

OP
OP
Council2

Council2

Reaction score
I tried cleaning it but to no avail. So picked up a new one and replaced, been a week and problem solved thanks for the help!

buildingdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just put a new IAC valve on my 04 4.6. I got the humming with a brand new one on there. truck runs really good with the new one, except I get the humming at idle. Should I take it back?

buildingdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any specific brand. I got an aftermarket (BWP) at oreilly... and also found people with F150's 4.6 having the same issues with motorcraft as well.

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got both BWP. I dont think brand matters. BWP is cheeper than Motorcraft.

Then again i never have had ANY luck with Oreily parts! It was the closest at the time!

Last edited: